The velocity chase?

Place to share - learn - ask information about reloading
Wiley
10 Point

The velocity chase?

Post by Wiley »

I'm just a country redneck and admit that I don't understand a lot of things in this world. However, I'm dumbfounded by the statement that I see from a good many handloaders. They'll post a pic of a target with an absolutely outstanding/incredible group and then say "It works but I was hoping for more speed". WTH????? I'm exactly the opposite and will not set up my chronograph until (if at all) I have excellent groups. I don't care whatsoever what speed my bullets are traveling if I can cover a 3 shot group with a dime or less. I will say that I read a LOT on what is working for other shooters and duplicate their loads instead of doing ladders. When I first started I did ladders but with the abundance of info on the web these days I no longer see the point.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Jethro
10 Point

Re: The velocity chase?

Post by Jethro »

Wiley wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:12 pm I'm just a country redneck and admit that I don't understand a lot of things in this world. However, I'm dumbfounded by the statement that I see from a good many handloaders. They'll post a pic of a target with an absolutely outstanding/incredible group and then say "It works but I was hoping for more speed". WTH????? I'm exactly the opposite and will not set up my chronograph until (if at all) I have excellent groups. I don't care whatsoever what speed my bullets are traveling if I can cover a 3 shot group with a dime or less. I will say that I read a LOT on what is working for other shooters and duplicate their loads instead of doing ladders. When I first started I did ladders but with the abundance of info on the web these days I no longer see the point.
Im with you there. I just want a round to shoot accurately, and be safe. Dont really care how fast its going.
Another one that I dont understand is....trying to turn a 30/30 into a 3000fps rifle. That is just an example that I made up, but you get what Im saying. My thought is....you want a faster round? Then buy a rifle chambered to shoot a faster round. Pushing well past maximum will, and has, gotten people maimed...or worse. To each his own, I guess.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

thumbs up
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Smokyrider
10 Point

Post by Smokyrider »

I figure that it's the idea of getting the hardest hitting load possible but as long as you are above the velocity/expansion threshold for the maximum range you're comfortable with then precision is best even if not loaded to max.

The only time I worry about max speed is out of a short barrel to get the more range or my 6.5 prc where I want it to still be at it's velocity/expansion threshold at 900 yards so I try to get it as fast as I can and still group good.
MUP

Post by MUP »

That's about what it amounts to I believe, wanting the most velocity to carry the bullet out to long ranges and be flatter shooting in the process. Myself I load up from middle book data up until I find the node (s) then I decide where the best one is, and it's not necessarily a max load. I don't like being up near pressure when load developing in cooler weather, bc I don't want to hit pressure when it gets a little warmer. 🙂
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I have a better understanding now. I reckon that unless there is a 2nd node beyond the one with optimal accuracy that also produces great accuracy, the chase would be over.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Pretty much. I look for accuracy, and then just see how it performs at distance. Old school, and time consuming/wasteful likely, but that's just how I feel comfortable working up a load. So far I've been pretty lucky finding good accurate loads.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.