And that was that

Who's getting after them?
Huntaholic
10 Point

And that was that

Post by Huntaholic »

As they say. I killed my 3rd TN bird this morning, a field bird that took me 3 hours to get him in a spot I could call him in from. I was on him early in the tree, well as close to on him as I could get, but he usually comes the way I was anyway so I sat it out. I saw him fly down but instead of coming level, he went straight up the hill. I called his hens to me and he still went the other way. After about 30 minutes I see a strutter below me in the field, then another, and another, and another, all jakes. He circled a wooded knob and came back to the field edge low and gobbled his hens back away from me! All the while Im sitting in the edge of the woods with 25 cows, a bull and one irate jackass all around me. Dang cows got so close to me I could have poked them with my gun barrel and I don't think they knew I was there. A little before 9 he gobbled again and was back on top of the same wooded knob he had already been around once. All this time Ive still got that wad of jakes right below me in plain site! I took a chance and did my best impression of a cow and got up, eased through the herd of cows and turkeys and climbed the wide open field through a lowgap to the top. Just as I was sitting down he gobbled again just out of site around the knob but before I could call I saw one of his hens get buggy and walk off. Fortunately for me, she walked straight away from him! I got set up, made one call, he gobbled. Waited maybe 2 minutes, called again, and in less than a minute I saw him coming to me off the knob in full strut. At about 25 yards I touched the trigger and ended my season in TN.
Jethro
10 Point

Re: And that was that

Post by Jethro »

Cool story.... congratulations.

Now, go back to that part about impersonating a cow.... πŸ˜‚
Tell us more, please. And why not impersonate the irate jackass...Ive heard it wouldnt be much of a stretch.... πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Jethro wrote: ↑Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:55 am Cool story.... congratulations.

Now, go back to that part about impersonating a cow.... πŸ˜‚
Tell us more, please. And why not impersonate the irate jackass...Ive heard it wouldnt be much of a stretch.... πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚
LOL that jackass is too full of piss and vinegar for me to try to impersonate!
bullet
Spike

Post by bullet »

Congrats on your gobbler!!!
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

thumbs up Way to stay with it!! Congrats again!!!
Greet the day, make him gobble!!
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Congrats. My birds are quiet. I’ve either went deaf or my bird are mute. Heard 1 bird twice.
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

We definitely need to see the cow impersonating
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tennessee Lead wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:32 pm We definitely need to see the cow impersonating
Its pretty simple really, you just stay hunched over, move real slow, switch your tail every so often and go "mmmmmooooooowwwww"!
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

Huntaholic wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:03 pm
Tennessee Lead wrote: ↑Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:32 pm We definitely need to see the cow impersonating
Its pretty simple really, you just stay hunched over, move real slow, switch your tail every so often and go "mmmmmooooooowwwww"!
πŸ˜‚
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

:D :D I almost said i want to see that impression, but now I don't want to see it :D :D :D :D

That spot sounds familiar. Is it the place I am thinking of? Where I told you to hang on i was gonna let him take another step or two to clear a limb? :D
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
ibhuntng
Spike

Post by ibhuntng »

Awesome congrats!!!!
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Congratulations, I might give turkey hunting a shot one day, I heard it is fun and addicting.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:08 am
:D :D I almost said i want to see that impression, but now I don't want to see it :D :D :D :D

That spot sounds familiar. Is it the place I am thinking of? Where I told you to hang on i was gonna let him take another step or two to clear a limb? :D
No, I lost that place. This one is even closer to the house. I can be there in about 12 minutes. I don't think you've ever hunted this one with me. Ive got LOTS of places you haven't seen since you quit coming around.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:57 pm

No, I lost that place. This one is even closer to the house. I can be there in about 12 minutes. I don't think you've ever hunted this one with me. Ive got LOTS of places you haven't seen since you quit coming around.
I told you we should hunt some this spring...
And, you know dang well I have been down there a lot more than you have been here in the past few years :D
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:06 pm
Huntaholic wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:57 pm

I told you we should hunt some this spring...
And, you know dang well I have been down there a lot more than you have been here in the past few years :D
I get nose bleeds in that high elevation, plus my neck starts to swell.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

I see the feathers sprouting on them legs :D
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Sackett wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:18 pm I see the feathers sprouting on them legs :D
Aint no feathers on these legs! Remember back to about 17 years ago and what I told you! I don't do nothing halfassed!
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:40 pm
Sackett wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:18 pm I see the feathers sprouting on them legs :D
Aint no feathers on these legs! Remember back to about 17 years ago and what I told you! I don't do nothing halfassed!
That is what Carol said about Jimmy and his smoking :D
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

Sackett wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:46 pm
Huntaholic wrote: ↑Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:40 pm
That is what Carol said about Jimmy and his smoking :D
Oh! I guess it just the smoking!!! Lol
Greet the day, make him gobble!!