Hornets nest

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Tngrizzly_

Hornets nest

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Well I got away with not being stung, I just put a bunch of tempo dust in a low hanging nest.

Old wise tail says, low hornets nest means easy winter with little to no snow. But I think it's going to be the opposite and be a heavy winter, we will see.

The only reason why I didn't burn it is because I want to keep it. Any suggestions on how to preserve it?
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
MUP

Re: Hornets nest

Post by MUP »

I've got one in my garage that I got almost 20 years ago. Haven't done anything to it, just let it hang. Who is this old wise tail you speak of? :mrgreen: I think he may be a member here. .rolling.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

two thumbs
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Years ago I found a low nest in a little forked tree. Planned on getting it during deer season and for whatever reason it slipped my mind. When I finally got ready it was pretty well destroyed by the fall season. Kicking myself over that
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I wish I had the video of myself getting one at night a few years ago. The video is out there but I can't find it. One thing that I learned is that hornets will ride the beam of a flashlight like the Tractor Beam from the Starship Enterprise all the way to the source of the light .laugh.

If I can ever find the video I'll post it.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:04 pm Any suggestions on how to preserve it?
Hair spray is what I've always been told.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Ive got one that I came face to face with a couple years ago. I think the main thing is to keep it dry. I waited till after a freeze to get it and unfortunately it had rained before I got to it. Did some damage. I wanted to hang it in an out building here....one that for some reason stays FULL of wasp nests.
I think it has worked some, but not 100 percent. The wasps arent quite as bad, but they still build in there.
I haven't noticed anymore damage to the nest since putting it in the dry.

I was bush hogging and came around this cedar...was literally pushing branches out of the way...I was really close. When I pushed the last one out of the way and this was 2' from my face...I nearly chit myself. I remember praying out loud for that ol tractor to please go faster... 😂
I got away unscathed, but im sure it took some years off my life... 😂
Screenshot_20220804-090911__01.jpg
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

My brother and my uncle found a low hanging on that was in good shape after a frost. They got it and my uncle put it next to the down stairs fire place. It wasn't long before he regretted doing so. Visitors emerged from that best.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Some funny stories, I will check on it later today and maybe get it
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:36 pm Some funny stories, I will check on it later today and maybe get it
If you get it this time of year...put it in a large trash bag and put in the freezer for a while. Dont need them demons hatching out inside the house... 😂
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

PXL_20220804_201329313.jpg
PXL_20220804_201329313.jpg (335.83 KiB) Viewed 181 times
I went and got it, I put some more stuff in it
Jethro wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:01 pm
Tngrizzly_ wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:36 pm Some funny stories, I will check on it later today and maybe get it
If you get it this time of year...put it in a large trash bag and put in the freezer for a while. Dont need them demons hatching out inside the house... 😂
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

img_5_1659648230065.jpg
img_5_1659648230065.jpg (288.2 KiB) Viewed 179 times
img_4_1659648221259.jpg
img_4_1659648221259.jpg (277.57 KiB) Viewed 179 times
img_3_1659648211473.jpg
img_3_1659648211473.jpg (285.62 KiB) Viewed 179 times
img_2_1659648197078.jpg
img_2_1659648197078.jpg (280.53 KiB) Viewed 179 times
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

It was 5.5 ft off the ground
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

That's NICE! Now spray it with regular hairspray to stiffen the paper and make it resistant to damage.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Wiley wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:54 am I wish I had the video of myself getting one at night a few years ago. The video is out there but I can't find it. One thing that I learned is that hornets will ride the beam of a flashlight like the Tractor Beam from the Starship Enterprise all the way to the source of the light .laugh.

If I can ever find the video I'll post it.
.rolling. .rolling. .rolling. :shock:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

A hornet sting makes me swell like a fat lady at a church picnic! So avoid them at all cost.
I learned a long time ago the best way to get the hornets dead was a garden sprayer, warm water and dish washing liquid. Stand back and spray the hole in the nest. They will come out, get in the soapy water and nose dive to the ground. The soak keeps them from being able to fly and will suffocate them in no time.
I will spray the nest like that several times. Or, even take a bucket of soapy water and throw on the nest. Good, easy way to get rid of the ones that have built in places you don't want them to be.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Sackett wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am A hornet sting makes me swell like a fat lady at a church picnic! So avoid them at all cost.
I learned a long time ago the best way to get the hornets dead was a garden sprayer, warm water and dish washing liquid. Stand back and spray the hole in the nest. They will come out, get in the soapy water and nose dive to the ground. The soak keeps them from being able to fly and will suffocate them in no time.
I will spray the nest like that several times. Or, even take a bucket of soapy water and throw on the nest. Good, easy way to get rid of the ones that have built in places you don't want them to be.
If possible, I have used the gas method. Wait until dark, throw gas on it and light it up. Do you all know that hornets only live for one year? The queen is the only one who lives on the and she leaves the nest in fall.