Trips to remember!

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Huntaholic
10 Point

Trips to remember!

Post by Huntaholic »

Last Friday morning about 4am myself, along with 3 of closest and dearest friends in the world departed on an adventure heading to Montana on a mule deer hunt. I had been to this particular spot 3 times before so we kinda knew the territory.
The trip out was fairly uneventful and after arriving we drove out to where we were going to hunt. ZERO deer sighted on the way out or the way back! This is a drive that usually shows anywhere from 100 to as many as 200 deer just from the truck! I dont know of it was hot weather, deer arent down yet, they all died, I still dont have that answer.
I decided right then to take the first deer God provided for me and I did just that 2 days later, a respectable 3x3. One of my buddies killed a forkhorn the 1st day as well so we are at 50% already.
The baby of the group saw a giant at 400 yards but instead of shooting it he tried to get closer and we all know how that works out!
The patriarch of my group fiddled around and passed a spike the 1st day, missed a good one twice midway through the trip and flubbed a chance at a decent 4x4 the last morning.
We left out heading home that afternoon to try to get out ahead of a snowstorm that was moving in but we took our leaving a little late and hit freezing rain when we got to WY. We drove about 200 miles through snow, freezing rain and BLACK ICE before calling it quits in Kadoka SD and getting the last room in the whole town.
Yesterday morning at daylight we hit the road again, being welcomed with an INCH of solid ice on the interstate. Slowly steadily we finally made our way to Chamberlain SD where we finally got out of the frozen mess.
The rest of our trip was uneventful until 44 miles east of KC on I70 when we hit a bump and the hitch broke in half!!!! :shock: :o :( Behind us was a 12 ft trailer, 2 four wheelers, toolboxes, coolers, etc.... all strapped down on the trailer! The driver done a FANTASTIC job of keeping that freewheeling trailer behind us and when we finally got stopped the ONLY thing connecting us to that trailer was the wiring pigtail!!! The good Lord was with us and he kept that trailer behind us and out of rushhour traffic! I shudder to think what the result of all of that could have been except for the grace of God! We had to leave the trailer and 2 guys with it and no lights while 2 of us ran like scalded dogs to O'Reillys and grabbed a new hitch and ball. We started the 4 wheelers and left them running with the lights on to at least let people know they were there, said a prayer, and headed out. 20 minutes later and we were hooked back up and on our way.
I have thanked God SEVERAL times in the last 12 hours or so for guiding us and keeping us all safe and getting us back home.
Shane37110
10 Point

Re: Trips to remember!

Post by Shane37110 »

Dang man I'm glad that wasn't worse! Trouble on the road is never good
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Wow !! The term " uneventful" turned " eventful" with that that bump ! Never know what's ahead of us so prayer helps guide us " Thank God " you made it back safely and a big ole congrats to the successful hunters.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

It is always an adventure... one way or another :D
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

Yes Sir! With 3 of the best! This trip had it’s chances and MOMENTS! as they ALWAYS do! But It was a great hunting/learning experience and we survived and made it home. Thank goodness!!! And oh yes got to add another state to the list!! Only need 10 more!! Lord willing n the creeks don’t rise!!! Lol
Greet the day, make him gobble!!
MUP

Post by MUP »

Woooweee! Definitely see The Hand of God there buddy! That could have been sooo much worse! Glad y'all made it thru any back safe!!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Wow!!! Somebody was definitely watching out for yall. Glad yall made it home safe.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Wait a minute, we need to see pictures. 😂

Glad you made it home safely and had a trip to remember.
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

I glad no one got sick. Lol
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Longrange wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:57 pm I glad no one got sick. Lol
That is NOT funny!
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:32 pm
Longrange wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:57 pm I glad no one got sick. Lol
That is NOT funny!
.headslap. .headslap. .rolling.
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy