Crane hunting

Diehard
10 Point

Crane hunting

Post by Diehard »

Anyone planning on applying for crane permits this year.

That is some of the best meat I have ever eaten!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
Inkstainz
8 Point

Re: Crane hunting

Post by Inkstainz »

I heard it is the steak of the sky

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
MUP

Post by MUP »

Ribeye of the sky! If I can hook up with RUE I might be able to. He's a bird killin' machine!
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
RUE
Button

Post by RUE »

YES! I'm definitely putting in for some permits this year. I missed it last year due to my wife having to go to Florida the week they were doing the permits :x .
poser
Button

Post by poser »

I would love to get some crane meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

poser wrote:I would love to get some crane meat.

Then you better put in for some tags. That stuff is so good I doubt my family will let me give any away this year.

J/K.....if I can kill my three this year, I will get some to you. I remove each side of the breast (each side is the size of a small chicken). I then cut the breast across the grain (3/4-1" thick) and and season it like I would a steak. Then I sear it in a hot pan until medium rare.
Bucky

Post by Bucky »

I had no idea you could hunt them.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

Rem30.06 wrote:I had no idea you could hunt them.
Last year was the first year in Tennessee. You can only hunt them in the southeastern portion of the state and they only draw 300 permits. Each permit allows a hunter three birds. You better be shooting the biggest gun with the longest shells you can handle. Those things are like tanks!
poser
Button

Post by poser »

Diehard wrote:
poser wrote:I would love to get some crane meat.

Then you better put in for some tags. That stuff is so good I doubt my family will let me give any away this year.

J/K.....if I can kill my three this year, I will get some to you. I remove each side of the breast (each side is the size of a small chicken). I then cut the breast across the grain (3/4-1" thick) and and season it like I would a steak. Then I sear it in a hot pan until medium rare.
I may apply for a permit. I have no idea if I can make it up but I'll try to.

Using Tapatalk
timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

Where the heck do find a crane once you get a permit?
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

timberjack86 wrote:Where the heck do find a crane once you get a permit?

I killed most of mine right outside the refuge. Drive the area with your windows down and you will hear them.
TwoThumbsUp
Button

Post by TwoThumbsUp »

I was out of the country last year during the drawing. I plan on getting in it this year. Have they announced a date for the drawing?

Does most of the hunting take place on public land or do you need to secure permission from a land owner? Are there outfitters who know enough about hunting them to justify the cost or is it something someone can DIY?

Crane hunting would be new to me, but it sounds like it could be fun.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

TwoThumbsUp wrote:I was out of the country last year during the drawing. I plan on getting in it this year. Have they announced a date for the drawing?

Does most of the hunting take place on public land or do you need to secure permission from a land owner? Are there outfitters who know enough about hunting them to justify the cost or is it something someone can DIY?

If you can get permission on private land, it is better.....they love cattle feed lots! I am not aware of any outfitters, we pass shoot them from blinds or tree lines. It is easy to DIY.

I am still waiting on the announcement for the draw. I want to get tags again! They are fine eating.
TwoThumbsUp
Button

Post by TwoThumbsUp »

Diehard wrote:
TwoThumbsUp wrote:I was out of the country last year during the drawing. I plan on getting in it this year. Have they announced a date for the drawing?

If you can get permission on private land, it is better.....they love cattle feed lots! I am not aware of any outfitters, we pass shoot them from blinds or tree lines. It is easy to DIY.

I am still waiting on the announcement for the draw. I want to get tags again! They are fine eating.
Thanks for the info. After my initial post, I did fid where TWRA says they will be discussing the crane hunt at the August meeting. I guess we'll have to wait until after it to find out when the draw is.
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

when it is settled on when to apply post it up, I will put in for it if I don't have to work in that time frame, id not ruin a chance for somebody else that didn't have to work,
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Post by AllOutdoors »

Sounds like fun!

Sent from this smart thigamajig using tapatalk.