The Ol Huntin' Truck

MUP

Re: The Ol Huntin' Truck

Post by MUP »

The ol Ford is gone. In its place is my Nissan ext cab 4x4. It's carried deer every season since at least 2015 now, maybe a few years before that.
Attachments
IMG_20201121_070322450.jpg
IMG_20201121_070322450.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 800 times
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

Mup! You sold the Ford!?!? Dang!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

ImThere wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:35 pm Mup! You sold the Ford!?!? Dang!

X2!!
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

My daughter's fiance' wanted it.... :roll: :cry: On the bright side, he's doing way more with it than I was just using it to hunt with. They go 4 wheelin' about every weekend in it now. :)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

Well I might let it slide then!

Heck I would have wanted to restore it. I wanted the one on Tndeer that was for sale last year. I’m not sure he ever sold it. The green one?
I need to sell my f250 and be ready when a deal comes up.

MUP

Post by MUP »

I remember that one, thought crossed my mind to get it as well!
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Well, it aint exactly my huntin truck, but she is going to let us take it to Catoosa in a couple weeks. Says I cant put a deer in it or on it. Will either pull a utility trailer, or use one of those platform things that go on hitch. Have only had it a couple months, but so far...it has proven to be badass when off road. This thing is like a billy goat... 😂
MUP

Post by MUP »

Man, that would be a pavement Queen for me! :D I'm glad I've kept my new vehicles so long that when I got ready for a newer one I just relegated the old one to hunting duty! 😁 I actually bought that red Nissan brand new in 98, and it had over 400k on it when the odometer went out. ;)
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

MUP wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:21 am Man, that would be a pavement Queen for me! :D I'm glad I've kept my new vehicles so long that when I got ready for a newer one I just relegated the old one to hunting duty! 😁 I actually bought that red Nissan brand new in 98, and it had over 400k on it when the odometer went out. ;)
I agree with the pavement queen comment...to a point. I will not be doing any serious off roading in it...as she would kill me if it got a scratch or dent. That said, I dont see paying the money for a 4x4 built for off road...and then keeping on blacktop. Kinda like the trucks that never haul anything. This one is a Trailhawk elite....its got every gizmo available...i think. It also has the 4x4 system that was once only available on the Rubicon. Where you can lock the differentials. According to the owners manual, it was an option on this model...and, as I said...it has everything.
The bad part of that system is that its full time 4x4...gas mpg kinda sucks.
MUP

Post by MUP »

I got that red truck, the first hwy driveable 4x4 I really had, to drive over the mtn to work and back. Mostly in case of snow. I bought it in October of 98, and in Jan of 99 I was at work on a Saturday and a big snow rolled in. I-24 (which we were within sight of) got white quick, and the supervisor came out and told us we could stay if we wanted, but he was leaving now. (He lived on top of the mtn I had to drive over to get to the next valley where I lived) So I was only there for half a day anyway, and it was only 10 o'clock, so I decided to stay till noon and get my time in. When I left, it was slick for sure, but I wanted to try to see if I could make it home in 2wd, so I left out. Spinning here and there, but would only get up to 45 mph on the freeway. When I made it thru Chattanooga and started up the mtn, there were no tracks in the snow in the left lane at all. And a line of traffic, maybe 7 or 8 vehicles, going about 20 mph getting ready to start up the Mtn. I knew that wouldn't work, had to have a little momentum to keep from spinning out, so I eased over in the left lane and up the mtn I went, passing those other slow vehicles. About halfway up I was back in the right lane and following an unloaded log truck, when we came up on the last straight to the top and there were 2 vehicles crossed up, blocking both Lanes, and one other vehicle in the right lane behind them stopped. The log truck couldn't slow down or he'd lose his speed and be stuck too, so he got over on the shoulder and was going by them all, when the door on that car that was sitting there opened up and a girl jumped out, oblivious to the oncoming truck. He blew the horn, and she shut the door, while still outside, and got up against her car. When he passed, her long hair stood straight out toward the truck as he passed within inches of her on one side, and the guardrail on the other. Now I had seen what was unfolding, and had come to a near stop, but when I saw he had made it, I geared down and tried to get going again, and that's when I started spinning, and even started slipping back down the mtn. I reached down and engaged the 4x4 and immediately gained traction, and went on up the mtn, and made it home safely. That day right there paid for the 4x4 option that I got on that truck, and I've had a 4x4 of some sort, multiple ones actually, ever since. ;)
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Mup, Ive been across that mountain several times...mostly back in the 80s. Not sure if they've widened it or not. Assuming that you are talking about the road with the space ship? If same mountain road, that has to be a crazy drive in the winter. If memory serves, it had a lot of switchbacks...makes holding any momentum difficult.
99 percent of our driving can be done with 2wd. With wife working for the school system, if its bad out....they close schools. Its her other job that is the issue. If you envision the letter "m", and take a cross section of the road where we live...we live in the bottom of the middle part. Turning either way out of our drive gets you a long uphill climb, followed by another long downhill. A bad snow, and we are usually stuck till it thaws. Hoping this jeep changes that. Im not one that just goes driving in the snow...just cause I can. But, if I need to get somewhere...ill do it.
To many years driving out west, in the Rocky mountains....im over it. Anyone that hasnt been out there...hasnt really seen serious snow... 😂
MUP

Post by MUP »

I drove that side of the mtn for years, and even the "W" road, that was some treacherous travel even in the best weather. Now I travel hwy 111, it's a straight drive for the most part, but still up and down a mtn twice a day during the work week, and I've seen several accidents over the years on both sides, fatal accidents. Just a couple years ago I missed a drunk driver going the wrong way by a minute or two going in to work one morning. He hit and killed a man head on after he entered the hwy from an exit going the wrong way just as I had passed it. The guys behind me coming in to work asked if I had seen the wreck, and I didn't know what they were talking about. They are usually just behind me coming in, so it had to have been minutes, or even seconds, that I passed that guy as he was coming down that ramp and entered the hwy behind me.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

What is the "W" road? As I said, been a long time since I was a regular over there.
MUP

Post by MUP »

It is the old road off signal mtn, down Roberts Mill road. Steep and curvy!
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

Here’s our current stable
My hunting rig 1999 f250 gasser
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202110 ... 5f8ba5.jpg[/IMG]
Her hunting rig 2008 Hummer h3 Alpha
[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202110 ... 37c998.jpg[/IMG]
Our family hunting rig 2009 Mercedes R350
* should be noted I don’t have an actual pic of our car but it looks exactly like this one.

All of our cars are 4x4 or AWD. I literally think it may be impossible to get the Mercedes stuck if ground clearance isn’t an issue.
It pulled a Dodge 4x4 dully Cummings out of a mud pit! Lol.

timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

IMG_20211106_175102958_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211106_175102958_HDR.jpg (271.43 KiB) Viewed 656 times