Does rain wash away human odor?

Back Home
4 Point

Does rain wash away human odor?

Post by Back Home »

I wonder how many hunters are asking that question today since it's raining all over the mid-state. But does rain really clear our scent? Hopefully so, because if it doesn't, what else will?

Thanks for the feedback.
Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Re: Does rain wash away human odor?

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I vote yes.
Just my thinking though lol

Sent from the barrel of a model 70 at 3300 fps
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

If you're talking about washing your scent away from an area then I'd say yes but if your talking about if a person gets wet if it washes their scent off then I say no. Just check your dog after it rains and see if you smell him.

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Back Home
4 Point

Post by Back Home »

WG Taxidermist wrote:If you're talking about washing your scent away from an area then I'd say yes but if your talking about if a person gets wet if it washes their scent off then I say no. Just check your dog after it rains and see if you smell him.Image

Sent from somewhere in the sticks using Tapatalk
I'd smell worse than any dog if I only used water. Lol
MUP

Post by MUP »

I'd say yes as well. That's why I do my stand work before a good rain if at all possible, to let the rain wash away, or at least dilute the scent I've left in the woods.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

Yes! Ask anyone that hunts with dogs. Scent is gone after a rain.
Suck it up.....buttercup!
AllOutdoors
10 Point

Post by AllOutdoors »

Hmmm. I would rather hunt any cool damp night than a hot dry night. Guess it depends on whether the game being hunted was on the foot before the rain or after. Before the rain it may very well wash away the rain. But if the desired animal moves after the rain it is likely cooler out holding scent to the ground. I would much rather turn the dogs out after a rain than a hot dry night.
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Depends on the type of scent. Rain certainly helps wash away "normal" scent, but scent produced by oil from the hands/skin is harder to wash away. In essence, scent produced by where you touched things with your bare hands isn't going to wash away as easily as scent drifting off your body (dead skin cells, fibers from your clothes, hair, etc.).
"Know where you stand and stand there" Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift