Smoked cabbage

Diehard
10 Point

Smoked cabbage

Post by Diehard »

Try this one next time you have the smoker up and running.

Get a large head of cabbage and cut the stem out of it. Make a cavity where the stem was that would hold 2-3 golf balls.

Take soft butter and work it into the cavity with your hands. I usually fill the cavity with butter then work it all into the spaces between the leaves with my hands.

Cu the following into 1/4 inch cubes:
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1 pack of andouille sausage

Mix the peppers and sausage together and pack the cavity with them. Place the cabbage head and the rest of the pepper and sausage mix in an aluminum pan with plenty of butter (if you don't put enough butter, some of it will burn)

Place the pan on the smoker for two hours with plenty of smoke. After two hours, cover tightly with foil and place away from direct heat. This can stay on the smoker as long as you are cooking. It is done when it is tender.

In the mean time, take a pound of bacon and cut it into small pieces. Once cut up, cook the pieces until crispy. Drain the fat. Save the crispy bacon pieces.

Once the cabbage is cooked, combine everything together in a large pan, add the bacon pieces, and chop it all up.

Best served hot!

I will add, eating too much of this will make it unsafe for those around you!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
Creeping Death

Re: Smoked cabbage

Post by Creeping Death »

Sounds really good. I know a guy from Oklahoma that does a similar smoked cabbage recipe. He also adds hot sauce. I'm going to try it eventually.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

jos3ywales wrote:bet it would be good eating but just the thought of it mixing in my belly and what it would do at a later date in my old age they just ant no way I can see it outwaying what would come next :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You would be able to get even with the dog!
Suck it up.....buttercup!
huntinkev
10 Point

Post by huntinkev »

That sounds good will definitely try next time smoker gets fired up

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I smoke my cabbage from time to time. I cut the core out, slice a piece off the other end to make it flat, so it will stand upright with the core hole at the top. Feel the hole with butter, garlic, anything you would like. Place on a piece of foil, gently fold it up and crease the top. Don't wrap it tight. Place in the BGE or smoker of your choice, and after a couple of hours, enjoy!
#FollowMeAndIWillBlessYou
Twinshooter
Button

Post by Twinshooter »

I thought smoking cabbage was only legal in Colorado. :)
Scout em, hunt em, kill em, skin em, then enjoy em.
Bow Hunter
Spike

Post by Bow Hunter »

Twinshooter wrote:I thought smoking cabbage was only legal in Colorado. :)

X 2 :lol:
Only you can change it.