Site Admin

Siting in your rifle

Post by leader »

Ok how do y'all go about this?
What do you shoot off of?
How many shots
Etc????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
MUP

Re: Siting in your rifle

Post by MUP »

Well, I start out from scratch by boresighting. I don't have a laser b-sighter, so I remove the bolt and, with the rifle locked down in a sight vise, eyeball thru the bore, to the center of the paper target, say 25 yds out. Adjust the scope to the bullseye wo moving away from your previous position from boresighting. Fire first shot. With any luck you're on paper at this point, and can make adjustments to get to the center of the bullseye. Second shot for me will be @ 50 yds. Adj as necessary from that point and hopefully 3 shots and you're good to go. However, that's not much fun to stop at just 3 shots. :D

100 yd zero will likely require another shot or two. ;)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Now with one of those laser b-sighters you should be able to start at your initial zero distance to get on paper from the start.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
KPH
Button

Post by KPH »

I am going to start off on a bag to make sure the gun, scope and cartage are all in sync. Then I may shoot standing on my two hind legs. I have noticed most all my game shots with a rifle I am braced on something. The last deer I shot I was sating and braced my elbow on my knee. This was done with out even thinking about it.
280longshot
6 Point

Post by 280longshot »

I always bore sight mine by removing the bolt and looking inside the barrel at an object, then turning the adjustment knobs on the scope so the sight picture matches what I'm seeing through the bore. Of course this requires having a steady rifle via on sand bags.
I'm usually on paper at 100yrds the first shot. Once you're on paper at 100yrds... firmly hold down your rifle making sure the cross hairs are still on the bulls eye and adjust your scope so the cross hairs move to the hole in the target.
This method requires less shots for me.
Good Luck
RutMan
6 Point

Post by RutMan »

280longshot wrote:I always bore sight mine by removing the bolt and looking inside the barrel at an object, then turning the adjustment knobs on the scope so the sight picture matches what I'm seeing through the bore. Of course this requires having a steady rifle via on sand bags.
I'm usually on paper at 100yrds the first shot. Once you're on paper at 100yrds... firmly hold down your rifle making sure the cross hairs are still on the bulls eye and adjust your scope so the cross hairs move to the hole in the target.
This method requires less shots for me.
Good Luck
I do the same and it works well for me.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using Tapatalk 2
280longshot
6 Point

Post by 280longshot »

RutMan
Yep works really well