CWD

caretaker
10 Point

CWD

Post by caretaker »

Ok boys and girls it has infected our deer population. What are your plans to deal with it. EHD has been a pest but we have been able to live with it and some what control it. Knowledge of how EHD is spread by mites gives us a way to combat it. Are we even knowledgeable for sure as to how CWD is spread? Is it harmful to humans? Will contaminated meat be safe for consumption? At this point I have more questions than answers. How will this affect your deer hunting?

Guys I am serious I want answers. We as hunters need answers.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
mike243
10 Point

Re: CWD

Post by mike243 »

Still a lot more ? than correct answers these days,I may got back to squirrel hunting more and only shoot a buck with big horns and give the meat away,I wont expose my family even though the risk might be very low.Everbody will have to decide what they will do,fishing will once again become more frequent I hope,work puts a damper on a lot of my time but as I get older the energy it takes to run around the woods seems more like work some days lol
leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

EHD SUX!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

What I just found on Google: this was posted in 2015

The agency also advises hunters to avoid eating meat from deer and elk that look sick or test positive for CWD. ... As a precaution, they should avoid eating deer and elk tissues known to harbor the CWD agent (e.g., brain, spinal cord, eyes, spleen, tonsils, lymph nodes) from areas where CWD has been identified
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
mike243
10 Point

Post by mike243 »

EHD is a pussy cat compared to CWD
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

From what I have read / understand an infected deer could carry the desease for a couple of years before showing signs of CWD. Although once the signs become apparent the desease acts quickly. This leads me to belueve that the desease has an incubation period and or a trigger. This is concerning because we may already have harvested and consumed infested deer or may harvest and eat an infested deer that appears perfectly healthy. Without having each deer you harvest tested there is not way to know for sure. I am a primarily a meat hunter. I dont know how this will affect me and other hunters
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

So far, there's not a single documented case of the disease being transmitted to humans. CWD has been discovered since the 60's in Colorado and has since slowly crept Eastward and now has been found in some of our Western counties. It was likely introduced into a farmed herd by a deer farmer who imported a cervid into his farmed herd, but also could have been brought back by a hunter from out west after killing an infected animal and bringing it back across state lines. Regardless of all that, it's here. Now, I believe it has been here for a while from the prevalence rates that have been reported so far, and yes, we've likely already eaten some infected deer meat. I personally am not too concerned with my own safety from eating infected meat, as I feel I likely have already, but, as means to test are developed, I will have animals tested before consuming, and will likely not eat meat that's tested positive, just to err on the side of caution. This disease has been in the West for decades now, and those hunters out there are not panicking, and continue to hunt, and eat the meat they kill, and I'm planning on doing much the same. The sky is not falling IMO.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
bowhunter5.901
10 Point

Post by bowhunter5.901 »

MUP wrote:So far, there's not a single documented case of the disease being transmitted to humans. CWD has been discovered since the 60's in Colorado and has since slowly crept Eastward and now has been found in some of our Western counties. It was likely introduced into a farmed herd by a deer farmer who imported a cervid into his farmed herd, but also could have been brought back by a hunter from out west after killing an infected animal and bringing it back across state lines. Regardless of all that, it's here. Now, I believe it has been here for a while from the prevalence rates that have been reported so far, and yes, we've likely already eaten some infected deer meat. I personally am not too concerned with my own safety from eating infected meat, as I feel I likely have already, but, as means to test are developed, I will have animals tested before consuming, and will likely not eat meat that's tested positive, just to err on the side of caution. This disease has been in the West for decades now, and those hunters out there are not panicking, and continue to hunt, and eat the meat they kill, and I'm planning on doing much the same. The sky is not falling IMO.
^^^ this exactly. Not a single case known to effect humans. Minnesota, Wisconsin, and other states that have it still hunt, still eat meat they harvest. With that being said, I feel like a test will be made that guys like myself, who process their own meat, will be able to use to test soon. I'm sure that pretty much everyone in the areas now listed have already eaten meat from CWD animals. But I would like a test that I could check for myself though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk