Anyboby

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Anyboby

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Is anybody getting any good pics this year?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Smokyrider
10 Point

Re: Anyboby

Post by Smokyrider »

Back in August, we'll see if they are still around come muzzleloader.
Attachments
Resized_MFDC3424_203534236920206.jpeg
Resized_MFDC3424_203534236920206.jpeg (683.57 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Didnt yall say I was hunting with yall this year!! Lol! Nice looking bucks guys! Hope yall get a opportunity to get a shot at a couple of them. Ive got nothing but small bucks so far.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote:ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Jcodd the pictures you posted looks like maybe from 3 different locations. I'm just curious but how many acres do you hunt to hold that many bucks of that size?

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

WG Taxidermist wrote:

Jcodd the pictures you posted looks like maybe from 3 different locations. I'm just curious but how many acres do you hunt to hold that many bucks of that size?
all the pictures came off the same tree. But I used 2 cameras at slightly different angles. The place I hunt is less than 20 acres and if this year is like all the previous years I’ll be lucky to see any of these deer until late season. During the summer these bucks frequent this spot but by no means do they stay. To the east of me I have around 1000 acres of nothing but hardwoods and deep hollers to contend with and my immediate neighbors don’t hunt. I know others down the creek do hunt but there’s a lot of ground between us that is more or less a sanctuary. It’s tough hunting but the deer have gotten noticeably better thru the last 5 years. Few years ago I sat 50 hours over several days without seeing a deer. Last year I split my time up and had much better success.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote:
WG Taxidermist wrote:

all the pictures came off the same tree. But I used 2 cameras at slightly different angles. The place I hunt is less than 20 acres and if this year is like all the previous years I’ll be lucky to see any of these deer until late season. During the summer these bucks frequent this spot but by no means do they stay. To the east of me I have around 1000 acres of nothing but hardwoods and deep hollers to contend with and my immediate neighbors don’t hunt. I know others down the creek do hunt but there’s a lot of ground between us that is more or less a sanctuary. It’s tough hunting but the deer have gotten noticeably better thru the last 5 years. Few years ago I sat 50 hours over several days without seeing a deer. Last year I split my time up and had much better success.

That makes sense. That's still a lot of movement for a 20 acre spot. I hunt a 15 acre piece of ground that I've had a lot of success on but it's very speratic. Some years I may see a couple good bucks come through then there are others that I don't see any thing. The problem with my area is just the opposite of yours. The area surrounding it is very over hunted especially with the road hunters. If I'm going to see a good buck it's usually during the rut when something comes cruising by.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

WG Taxidermist wrote:
JCodd wrote:
WG Taxidermist wrote:

That makes sense. That's still a lot of movement for a 20 acre spot. I hunt a 15 acre piece of ground that I've had a lot of success on but it's very speratic. Some years I may see a couple good bucks come through then there are others that I don't see any thing. The problem with my area is just the opposite of yours. The area surrounding it is very over hunted especially with the road hunters. If I'm going to see a good buck it's usually during the rut when something comes cruising by.
I really feel if this 20 acre spot was in the middle of all that on the east I’d have a prime spot. They have no reason honestly to be on me once acorns hit the ground. But late season once the acorns are gone the food plot really helps out. But that’s also why I hunt the velvet hunt. Not for a velvet buck but it’s my best chance at one of those bucks. Hopefully next season I can make major changes to the food plot to greatly increase the velvet hunt success.

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote:
WG Taxidermist wrote:
JCodd wrote:
WG Taxidermist wrote:

I really feel if this 20 acre spot was in the middle of all that on the east I’d have a prime spot. They have no reason honestly to be on me once acorns hit the ground. But late season once the acorns are gone the food plot really helps out. But that’s also why I hunt the velvet hunt. Not for a velvet buck but it’s my best chance at one of those bucks. Hopefully next season I can make major changes to the food plot to greatly increase the velvet hunt success.

I've never put in a food plot on this spot of ground but I'm trying to find me a disc that I can pull behind my 4 wheeler so I can put one in. I rely heavily on the acorn crop where I'm at.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Image here’s the layout of the spot. I enter the north side and hunt in the barn during any of the firearm seasons. On the south side is the gate and you can kinda see my bushhogged roads. Food plot is basically from the barn (the long white building) to where the trail goes east. That’s about all I can see as it’s mostly a ridge/point. West side and south side I can’t see. The patch of trees southwest of the barn and east of the road is where I now hunt but next year I plan on moving to the eastern most section

WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

JCodd wrote:Image here’s the layout of the spot. I enter the north side and hunt in the barn during any of the firearm seasons. On the south side is the gate and you can kinda see my bushhogged roads. Food plot is basically from the barn (the long white building) to where the trail goes east. That’s about all I can see as it’s mostly a ridge/point. West side and south side I can’t see. The patch of trees southwest of the barn and east of the road is where I now hunt but next year I plan on moving to the eastern most section

Looks like a good setup! Mine is not hardly one big chunk like that. Mine is more of a horseshoe shape so it's a little tricky how I have to hunt it.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

WG Taxidermist wrote:
JCodd wrote:Image here’s the layout of the spot. I enter the north side and hunt in the barn during any of the firearm seasons. On the south side is the gate and you can kinda see my bushhogged roads. Food plot is basically from the barn (the long white building) to where the trail goes east. That’s about all I can see as it’s mostly a ridge/point. West side and south side I can’t see. The patch of trees southwest of the barn and east of the road is where I now hunt but next year I plan on moving to the eastern most section

Looks like a good setup! Mine is not hardly one big chunk like that. Mine is more of a horseshoe shape so it's a little tricky how I have to hunt it.
the north east side once out of the field is basically all bluffs so I lose a lot there. Fairly certain we own all of the holler and back up the other side but it’s pretty well inaccessible or not worth the risk cause they’ll be in the food plot. The road hurts me as well on the west/south side. But other than the food plot it’s a thick mess in the fields. Briars and saplings and Johnson grass all over your head lol. Would love to do a controlled burn but it’s my parents place and I got shut down on that.

JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Image the green parcel is what I hunt. This should show you acreage to the east where at least part of them go. I also have a spot about a mile west that I hunt but I don’t use cameras there so who knows what’s there. But I do know generally a big buck crosses that property, it just boils down to if someone is there or not. A friend has video of a nice buck crossing the lake nearly off the ridge my stand is on a few years ago that was later poached on the other side. His dad also mounted one last year that was killed at the head of the road. So the bucks are there, but from previous years of running camera they don’t stay there, but do come thru.