Pettetts vs loose powder

caretaker
10 Point

Pettetts vs loose powder

Post by caretaker »

I have been usin pyrodex loose powder for years. Reason I bought a jar many moons ago and am just now gettin to the maybe I better invest in some more point. I use around 90 grains in my Wolf. Would going to pelletts hurt my accuracy? Be benificial as not having to measure powder? Load quicker and easier? I use 90 grains and pudh a 240 XTP. I plan to keep using the 240 as I have pleanty. I will be using my Wolf more because I will be wandering around in the F.O.R. Wildlife Mng. Area and can only use a MZ. or a shotgun with slugs.
So bottom line. Pelletts or loose powder?

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Re: Pettetts vs loose powder

Post by WG Taxidermist »

I switch to pellets a while back. I couldnt tell that it affected my accuracy any. It sure is a lot easier.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
MUP

Post by MUP »

I'm a loose powder user. Just like measuring out my loads I reckon. When I first got into muzzleloading I had to adjust down from the 100 gr of pyrodex I was using to 90 for accuracy. The ML was shooting a little too high still, and I was out of sight adjustment to go any lower, so I dropped the load amount a tad and got it to where I was satisfied with it. Just stuck with that method ever since.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Loose. I’d also make the swap to bh209. Just make sure your plug is compatible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MUP

Post by MUP »

I'm using it too JC, but I modified my BP myself to be able to fire consistently. So far so good. My daughter is still using pyrodex, until I feel confident with my BP modification, then I'll likely switch her over as well. Clean burning and can fire almost unlimited shots without swabbing the barrel.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

MUP wrote:I'm using it too JC, but I modified my BP myself to be able to fire consistently. So far so good. My daughter is still using pyrodex, until I feel confident with my BP modification, then I'll likely switch her over as well. Clean burning and can fire almost unlimited shots without swabbing the barrel.
just don’t let it sit too long even though you have ss barrels. When I had my optimas they ended up stained from the residue. Very frustrating but much better than any of the other substitutes

MUP

Post by MUP »

I've heard that from several folks as well buddy. I just bought a bottle or the Hoppes foaming bore cleaner to try out on my rifles and will be using it on the BH 209 ML barrel as well.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

MUP wrote:I've heard that from several folks as well buddy. I just bought a bottle or the Hoppes foaming bore cleaner to try out on my rifles and will be using it on the BH 209 ML barrel as well.
before I got my smokeless me and a buddy both went to the black horn. His encore cleaned up much better than my cva did. I learned to get all I could out before using any cleaner. I also wouldn’t oil my barrel afterward. For me it just made a mess.

Tennessee Lead
10 Point

Post by Tennessee Lead »

I prefer loose powder
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be" - Fred Bear
hillbillyfab
Button

Post by hillbillyfab »

Its hard to beat the ease and convenience of pellets, no measuring, easy to handle and manage, but with that being said I shoot BH209. I like being able to tailor my load to the firearm. I like not having that ole crud ring after just a few shoots.
ImThere
10 Point

Post by ImThere »

Not sure about pellets but I thought they were 50 grains each?
You can customize your load with powder

Tree Saddle hunters_R_us on Tapatalk bored