Baitcasters

caretaker
10 Point

Baitcasters

Post by caretaker »

These reels are just beyond my feeble ability to use. I have tried sense my young tender years. My mother's mother and her brother lived in a small cabin on Concord Lake. I grew up using a cane pole,push buttons ,openface and even a baitcasters. The baitcasters was an exercise in futility. Best I could do with a bait caster was to fish strait down by stripping line from the spool by hand. Nothing but ratsnest and spider webs other wise. I even learned to be adequate with a flyrod. Alas, even now in my old age I can not cast a baitcasters without backlash, ratsnest and cussing.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Huntaholic
10 Point

Re: Baitcasters

Post by Huntaholic »

LOL you should try being able to control and rewind the steel cable on my equipment! A baitcasting reel is EASY compared to controlling a steel cable with a breaking strength of 30000 lbs. It has to go right back on that spool smooth too and theres no guide bar travelling a track to make it do it.
CrowT
Spike

Post by CrowT »

Today’s bait casters are easy with the brakes, etc. My wife had never fished with one and I set her up with the brakes on and showed her the side arm and overhand cast. She’s done extremely well with it and in fact, had me get her another combo.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

CrowT wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:33 am Today’s bait casters are easy with the brakes, etc. My wife had never fished with one and I set her up with the brakes on and showed her the side arm and overhand cast. She’s done extremely well with it and in fact, had me get her another combo.
X2! The breaks really make it to where most anybody can use them. Practice makes perfect.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Time on the water. ( or driveway/yard) practicing. Been there done that. Neighbors may give you a few funny looks; but what do they know?
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Longrange wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:42 pm Time on the water. ( or driveway/yard) practicing. Been there done that. Neighbors may give you a few funny looks; but what do they know?
I've spent many hours in the driveway throwing baits at a bucket. Lol!
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

I learned to throw one with a fluke tied on. Couldn’t tell you how many birds nests I picked out but I finally got it.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

super
JCodd wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:07 pm I learned to throw one with a fluke tied on. Couldn’t tell you how many birds nests I picked out but I finally got it.
super Now that sir, is impressive!
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Huntaholic wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:10 pm super
JCodd wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:07 pm I learned to throw one with a fluke tied on. Couldn’t tell you how many birds nests I picked out but I finally got it.
super Now that sir, is impressive!
With weight being your friend, it was hard to do. I got fairly good with it but I’ve not wet a line in several years. Now that my step dad has passed, I’m just not sure I’ll ever go. Woulda been 60 today.