Calls used

Who's getting after them?
brad_23
Button

Calls used

Post by brad_23 »

Seems I can remember back in the day when what call a man used with Success was kept pretty much a secret.. and now days people take pics of calls used and freely tell what calls they like. I know two men can take the same call.that being a pot a mouth yelper or whatever.. and no two will sound the same..
Sackett
8 Point

Re: Calls used

Post by Sackett »

I agree. My oldest son and I both usually use the same calls. He is a better caller than me, he can make just about any sound a turkey can make and do it better than I can. We raised turkeys for years, he grew up around them and I guess that helped him. But, I remind him... you can be a so so caller and still kill a lot of turkeys if you know what you are doing :D
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

brad_23 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:04 am Seems I can remember back in the day when what call a man used with Success was kept pretty much a secret.. and now days people take pics of calls used and freely tell what calls they like. I know two men can take the same call.that being a pot a mouth yelper or whatever.. and no two will sound the same..
Did you kill that bird at the marina this morning? I screwed up and parked my 4 wheeler right under the ones I was after and ended up not ever even calling to one this morning. The only other bird I could get to was right at the marina and just as I started toward him somebody shot him. He sounded like a GOOD one. The ones I messed up on were 2 yr olds anyway so I wasn't too depressed when I buggered them up.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

brad_23 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:04 am Seems I can remember back in the day when what call a man used with Success was kept pretty much a secret.. and now days people take pics of calls used and freely tell what calls they like. I know two men can take the same call.that being a pot a mouth yelper or whatever.. and no two will sound the same..
LOTS of hunters this morning too. First pull off past the ramp had an AR truck in it, next spot down had a local guy and within sight of him was yet another truck with TN tags pulled in. Nobody at the city limit sign, but of course somebody had been in past the marina at the county line, I suspect that's the one that shot the bird I was going to. As soon as their feet hit the ground they all hushed this morning so I quit and came home.
brad_23
Button

Post by brad_23 »

No sir I’ve not hunted that area in over 20 years.. I went down to listen last week and heard a gaggle of what sounded like 2 year olds close to your lease.. I talk to Scott and he said y’all still hunt that ground so I decided not to go .. and stay near home .. I figured its still like or if not worse with pressure than it was the last time I was there 20 years ago.. but I would love to stomp that ground just one more time..
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

brad_23 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:15 pm No sir I’ve not hunted that area in over 20 years.. I went down to listen last week and heard a gaggle of what sounded like 2 year olds close to your lease.. I talk to Scott and he said y’all still hunt that ground so I decided not to go .. and stay near home .. I figured its still like or if not worse with pressure than it was the last time I was there 20 years ago.. but I would love to stomp that ground just one more time..
Up until last year, I had NEVER been able to get to the top of that country without having to climb my ass off to get there. Well now Ive got log roads all the way up from the archery range to the marina and can ride up! I HAD to lease that farm! I can cut the gaps now and never climb a big hill all the way from ensor hollow to eagle ridge! When your knee gets healed up I don't care a bit to take you up before daylight some morning and let you hunt it the easy way! LOL just don't tell anybody!
brad_23
Button

Post by brad_23 »

I love to take you up on that offer.. I’d just like to tag along and watch you work a bird.. I know my brother has been with ya but can’t say that I ever have.. I was worried that I wouldn’t get to travel after them like I normally could before I hurt my knee but I think I’m gonna do ok.. I can truck up hill fine down is the hardest part..sounds like you have the best part of Turkey country covered . If I had one choice of place to hunt turkeys in tn that part would be it.. just something about that area I love.. maybe because it’s where we started when I was a kid.. and it killed me the last time I walked up by the boat ramp on the last opening morning that I hunted there and see it eat up with people sitting against every tree..
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

brad_23 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:47 pm I love to take you up on that offer.. I’d just like to tag along and watch you work a bird.. I know my brother has been with ya but can’t say that I ever have.. I was worried that I wouldn’t get to travel after them like I normally could before I hurt my knee but I think I’m gonna do ok.. I can truck up hill fine down is the hardest part..sounds like you have the best part of Turkey country covered . If I had one choice of place to hunt turkeys in tn that part would be it.. just something about that area I love.. maybe because it’s where we started when I was a kid.. and it killed me the last time I walked up by the boat ramp on the last opening morning that I hunted there and see it eat up with people sitting against every tree..
Just let me know what morning you want to go and I will pick you up at the 1st pull off past the boat ramp. Scott wants to go with me in the morning so I cant do it then, but Friday may be open.