Its time!

Huntaholic
10 Point

Its time!

Post by Huntaholic »

Time to fill the freezer with catfish that is! Good Lord willing, Im going to throw out noodles tomorrow evening, run them Sat morning, and I may rebait and throw them back out and run em again Sunday morning. All this old age and laziness has caught me severely lacking on fish in the freezer so I need to take care of that issue! Fishing is just another one of those things that I used to do quite a bit but now I cant seem to find the time. Back when I lived 15 minutes from Center Hill I could pretty much bet on catching a mess of fish anytime I needed to. Now that I live 15 minutes from Cordell Hull, I don't know ANYBODY that can be confident in catching a mess of fish down here whenever they want to! Its a TOUGH lake to fish for sure. Water levels can change a foot or more overnight so the fish you found yesterday may be on dry land today! Plus the temperature swings are UNREAL!!!! Channel temps may be 60 degrees, get back up in the creeks and shallows and it may be mid 80s!
Jethro
10 Point

Re: Its time!

Post by Jethro »

I know how you feel. Spent most of my life chasing catfish and bluegill. Couple years ago, they put advisory on the catfish in Cherokee. Haven't kept one since. Been after walleye and striper last couple years... haven't caught a single one yet. Dont know what Im doing, or where to really start...but I keep trying.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Jethro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:10 pm I know how you feel. Spent most of my life chasing catfish and bluegill. Couple years ago, they put advisory on the catfish in Cherokee. Haven't kept one since. Been after walleye and striper last couple years... haven't caught a single one yet. Dont know what Im doing, or where to really start...but I keep trying.
Stripers are hard to figure out for sure! You can catch the snot out of them below watts bar, but I aint eating a fish out of there either! I guess I need to bite the bullet and pay one of these guides down here to take me just once. I see them putting in down here at the closest ramp to me all winter and early spring guiding people. On second thought, maybe I should just follow them and see what they are doing! LOL. Ive got the rods, Ive got the bait tanks, Ive got everything I need except maybe planer boards and that's not a big deal to get. Hell I can even throw a cast net half way decent about 50% of the time!
Again, I can tell you how to catch walleye on Center Hill, in fact its about to get prime time for it, but NOBODY can say they can put you on anything in Cordell.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Huntaholic wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:14 pm
Jethro wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 7:10 pm I know how you feel. Spent most of my life chasing catfish and bluegill. Couple years ago, they put advisory on the catfish in Cherokee. Haven't kept one since. Been after walleye and striper last couple years... haven't caught a single one yet. Dont know what Im doing, or where to really start...but I keep trying.
Stripers are hard to figure out for sure! You can catch the snot out of them below watts bar, but I aint eating a fish out of there either! I guess I need to bite the bullet and pay one of these guides down here to take me just once. I see them putting in down here at the closest ramp to me all winter and early spring guiding people. On second thought, maybe I should just follow them and see what they are doing! LOL. Ive got the rods, Ive got the bait tanks, Ive got everything I need except maybe planer boards and that's not a big deal to get. Hell I can even throw a cast net half way decent about 50% of the time!
Again, I can tell you how to catch walleye on Center Hill, in fact its about to get prime time for it, but NOBODY can say they can put you on anything in Cordell.
As far as "follow them and see what they are doing"...ive got a buddy that never goes out without a pair of binoculars. If someone is catching something, he wants to know how and on what... 😂
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Well we had a pretty good morning, 6 fish, probably close to 30 lbs total weight. Lost 2 noodles, one of which I saw with a fish on it when I was 500 yards up the slough from it, thinking to get it on the way back down and it completely vanished before I could get there, and another I have no idea the whereabouts. I figure Ive probably got about 4 bucks a pound in them, :cry: 60 bucks in gas for the boat, 30 bucks for bait, and about 40 miles of driving to get to the ramp twice and back home.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:30 pm Well we had a pretty good morning, 6 fish, probably close to 30 lbs total weight. Lost 2 noodles, one of which I saw with a fish on it when I was 500 yards up the slough from it, thinking to get it on the way back down and it completely vanished before I could get there, and another I have no idea the whereabouts. I figure Ive probably got about 4 bucks a pound in them, :cry: 60 bucks in gas for the boat, 30 bucks for bait, and about 40 miles of driving to get to the ramp twice and back home.
Ol' Joe is even screwing up a man's fishing with his cuts on domestic oil production... amoung other bone headed moves!
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy