Favorite deer rifle...

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Jethro
10 Point

Favorite deer rifle...

Post by Jethro »

Ok, so we've discussed this rifle and that rifle, and this/that caliber, but this isnt really about what you or I think is best overall. Like me, Im sure most have used different rifles/cals over the years....so, what is your favorite? This can be what you use now, to something you used in the past....and foolishly got rid of....or not... doesn't matter. What is your favorite rifle/cal combo for hunting deer?
Please, lets keep this about modern rifles....no ML or shotguns.

For me....its hard for me to say. Most rifles will work for the type hunting I do, but....I once had a CZ550 Full stock in 6.5x55, I guess that would be my favorite. It was compact enough for still hunting, but would reach on out there when you needed it to. Plus....it was purdy... 😂
Smokyrider
10 Point

Re: Favorite deer rifle...

Post by Smokyrider »

20211118_170858_copy_1265x511.jpg
20211118_170858_copy_1265x511.jpg (169.2 KiB) Viewed 134 times
6.5 Grendel is what I have settled on, been real happy with it for deer hunting so far.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Once used my trusty Marlin 1895 45-70 shoot a deer and you would find it most times right there ! The places I hunted it was my go to gun but once I started hunting places with fields I was way out classed si I purchased a Ruger M77 in 7mm mag and would not hunt with any of other long guns at all. I will though occasionally hunt with the Encore with the 7mm mag barrel when my grandson wasn't with me because it was actually his gun but he's no longer with us . I think I've took the Browning Bar in 270 cal before but not much hard just to leave the Ruger at home .
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Over the years I have used several deer rifles. I will start with the one I despised. Being left handed I wanted a lever action or a simi. Thus I bought the byoutch. A Winchester lever action 30/30. If I remember correctly it was a model 94 but don't quote me that. It has top eject and I mounted what I call a side mount scope on it. I put time ,effort,and money in that rifle and every time I fired and worked the lever the dayum thing locked up. I finally gave it to my brother-in-law.
My brother let me use his Marlin 35 and I really liked it. Unfortunately it was stolen.
As stated bolt actions came and went.
Then I found her. My 1st wife and our baby girl took me Christmas shopping and insisted I get my Remington 7400 in 30/06. This rifle and I have been together for 30 + years.
A couple of years ago I bought a Savage 243 in L.H. bolt. This is more or less an experiment to see how I would like a bolt action without having to reach across. Another reason was I wanted to simi-retire the 7400. I wanted a synthetic stock for rain and other bad weather.
Note I said simi-retire. I still pack the 7400 when I go camp/hunting. As time goes on maybe I will become fond of the 243. But for now the 7400 remains my first true love.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

I can't really pick just one, but I did I guess I would say my TC Venture in 7mag topped with a Sig Whiskey. I love that rifle and round. And I can't stand hearing people say, "A 7 mag is too much gun, it ruins too much meat"! That's a load of crap. I've killed a pile of deer with my 270, love that rig too, and I assure you, it has ruint more meat than my 7 mag. Yes, that due to the ammo I shoot outta the 270 but point still stands. That being said, a 7-08 is in my opinion one of, if not the best whitetail rounds out there. I love my 7-08 too😁.
I wanna go back to 1776 when men had balls and chicks didn't
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Remington 700 Tactical .308
OPS mounted.jpeg
OPS mounted.jpeg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 117 times
OPS rifle.jpeg
OPS rifle.jpeg (40.64 KiB) Viewed 117 times
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
MUP

Post by MUP »

For many years from my youth up until 2006 it was my trusted Model 742 Remington Woodsmaster in 30-06. But prior to opening of deer season in 06 I had a problem develop with the 742 jamming, so I had just purchased a Remington Model 710 , also in 30-06, actually to sell, but decided to sight it in and use it that season, then get something else. Well just so happened that opening day of rifle season I killed the biggest buck of my life up until that point with that rifle, so, now I have a history with it, so I kept it. FF up until 2019 , and several deer later killed with that Model 710, I had gotten a Winchester Model 70 in 300 WSM, and had been handloading for it, so I decided to take it out in place of the 06. Late season, Dec 28th, I was hunting with it and killed a massive antlered 10 point with it. As of right now, that 300 WSM seems to be my pick to grab and head to the woods with.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

If it's just for deer I would have to go with my TC contender 35 Rem. For yotes and long range hunting I would have to choose my Ruger 30-06.