45-70 anybody hunt with one

caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Got a text message / pic from topofthefoodchain yesterday evening. He was in the sportin goods section of Wally World a droolin over a 45-70 lever action Marlin. I couldn`t advise him on it. I have never been around or shot a 45 -70 let alone hunt with one. I know it`s an old round used in the old Henry`s but that`s all I know. I was just thinkin withit being used for buffalo that if you shot a deer with it wouldn`t be notthin left but antlers and hoofs.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

I'd like to have one. A feller on another site had an older one to trade and I had just what he wanted. I just couldn't turn loose of one of my favorite pistols for a gun that wouldn't be much use here in Alabama. It'll kill a deer for sure. But like you said, I was afraid wouldn't be nothing left of it. It would be a great gun to own though. Bet it kicks like a mule.
caretaker
10 Point

Re: 45-70 anybody hunt with one

Post by caretaker »

I was kinda hoping that 7mm mup or someone would chime in here and have some knowledge and experience with this rifle. Any way I just heard from him and he could not resist the temptation and bought the rifle.

M.T. Pockets
MUP

Post by MUP »

Never had any dealins with one of em ct. Now 7mminatree has fired jes about every caliber known to man so he may very well have some input on it. ;)
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

They make big holes and put a hurtin on a shoulder when sighting in. Never hunted with mine but no doubt they wouldn't take a step out to 125yds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

Let us know how he likes it. I'd sure like one. Just not sure I'm that angry at the deer
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

From what I`ve been able to find out they are shoulder thumpers. From what little info I can find they are not that hard on damage to deer and do good as brush guns. I dunno. What with this heart condition I went to the 243 from the 30-06 to get away from shoulder thump.

M.T. Pockets
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

I have an old Marlin .357 I use for a brush gun. I'd like to retire it since it was my grandfathers gun. I'd like to replace it with the 45-70. But I'd like to see what it does to a deer first. It should be a great gun! I've heard there's not an animal in North America that you can't take with it.
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

They're a good brush rifle for just about anything in north America. And can be darn accurate too. I've never hunted with a 45-70, but have some friends that do. They don't tear up the animal that bad, if the correct bullet is used. Recoil IMO is about like a Mag charged Muzzle loader, more of a stout push than a sharp punch. Ammo is getting spendy these days because those things shoot a piece of lead the size of a brick. Myself, the older I get the less I like the big boomers. I've sold off my 338 mag, 300 mag, 35 whelen and a 358 win. I still have my 7mag, don't shoot it much though. My hunting rifle is mainly my .308 or my .243. Just got recoil sensitive after shoulder injuries and old age crept up on me.
sdw
10 Point

Post by sdw »

Great info 7mminatree. Thanks!
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

Kind of a late reply, but yes I've got a couple that I hunt with. Honestly, as much as I love them, deer run just as far after being hit with one as my 30/30's. Actually, usually a little farther than the 30/30's. I switched to hand loading 300 grain hollow points instead of 400-405 grain bullets cause the lighter bullets seem to drop em better with lung shots.

The round is a freight train for sure. As far as I know any bullet I've hit a deer with is probably still going. I won't use loads anymore that run more than 23,000 CUP. That's enough recoil for me. You can run a Marlin up to 44,000 CUP, but I ain't ever been mad enough at a deer to need that much power. The round is not hard on meat. Usually a caliber sized hole in and out with the 400-405's, and a slightly larger exit with 300's. I usually run the 300's to about 1700 FPS. If you will hold loads to Trapdoor levels, brass will seemingly last forever.

The Guide Gun that's my favorite is fun to carry, but recoil is brisk in such a light rifle. A Winchester 1886 is on my wish list.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

I think topofthefoodchain likes his new 45/70 just fine. He broke it in on a 6 point here in East Tn and then took it over to Unit L and introduced it to some Doe and a 9 point.

M.T. Pockets
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

I've got an uncle who has one. Far as I know he loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

I still have one model 1895 Marlin and hunted quite a few years with it , killed many a deer with it . The 300 grain hollow point is the round you would want with it . Range is pushing 125 yds . then the drop is tremendous . They pack a whallop only weapon I could actually here the shot smack the deer . Put it up and started using the 7mm mag Ruger when we started hunting in Giles Co. the place has a lot of fields do with Marlin it was like I was throwing rocks at em ' .