Feeder advise

caretaker
10 Point

Feeder advise

Post by caretaker »

I set up one of those telescoping timed bucket feeders. This contraption has 4 different spin release times. After discovering that I needed to set t he actual time. ( Typical Man don't need no instructions 🙂 ) I got the thing to spin and fling corn at the 4 times I wanted. The run time was 5,10,15, 20 seconds. I set for 10 seconds. Getting a fair amount of corn spread at 6am, 10:30am 2pm and 6pm. How do you guys set you feeders
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
JCodd
10 Point

Re: Feeder advise

Post by JCodd »

I personally don’t use one, but I’d set it for the minimum spin time, once a day right at day break. If I felt the need for another time I’d add 2 hours before dark and have minimum sling time.
MUP

Post by MUP »

JCodd wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:23 am I personally don’t use one, but I’d set it for the minimum spin time, once a day right at day break. If I felt the need for another time I’d add 2 hours before dark and have minimum sling time.
This is what I did when I had one, but it's the only settings it had, it had a photo lense on it and picked up right at daylight and dusk to spin.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Tdw05
6 Point

Post by Tdw05 »

Yep, I would set for 2 times a day and minimum spin time.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Thanks guys

M.T. Pockets
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

To each his own, but I run feeders year round on some of my places. I DONT HUNT THEM THOUGH, unless I get hogs coming, then its game on! I run them and cameras just to get an idea of what around AND mainly, to help ALL wildlife. I use Moultries, the ones that are programmable for up to 6 feed times per day but I only feed twice. 6am and 4pm and I set the timer for 5 seconds ea cycle. Later on in the winter when things to eat get really hard to find I will increase it to 7 and sometimes 10 seconds.
I don't believe for a second the TWRA crap about them being illegal because they spread disease! If that were the case, there wouldn't be a deer alive in TX, AL, GA, KY, etc..... IMHO its all about revenue generation, ie they get to write people tickets.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

As stated I am new to using a feeder. I guess I need to stop the mid day dispenses

M.T. Pockets
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

caretaker wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:18 pm As stated I am new to using a feeder. I guess I need to stop the mid day dispenses
Its all in what you want to do. Mid day feedings typically feed songbirds and squirrels. One thing I do focus on is making sure all feed gets cleaned up in a timely manner. I DO NOT want corn laying there more than a few hours. Aflatoxins are REAL and they can decimate a turkey population. Just make sure its all eat up and none of it has a change to mold!
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Huntaholic wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:56 pm To each his own, but I run feeders year round on some of my places. I DONT HUNT THEM THOUGH, unless I get hogs coming, then its game on! I run them and cameras just to get an idea of what around AND mainly, to help ALL wildlife. I use Moultries, the ones that are programmable for up to 6 feed times per day but I only feed twice. 6am and 4pm and I set the timer for 5 seconds ea cycle. Later on in the winter when things to eat get really hard to find I will increase it to 7 and sometimes 10 seconds.
I don't believe for a second the TWRA crap about them being illegal because they spread disease! If that were the case, there wouldn't be a deer alive in TX, AL, GA, KY, etc..... IMHO its all about revenue generation, ie they get to write people tickets.
I asked that same question . They said it was more harmful to Turkeys but like you just stated there would be no turkeys either in these surrounding states that allow baiting .