Outrageous

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
rabbit

Outrageous

Post by rabbit »

I built a deck around the pool 7 years ago and we, meaning my bride decided she wanted to redesign with a new deck. In her defense, it was looking old and needed a few boards replaced. So I decided that I was too old and broke down to do this anymore, especially by myself. So I called a company for a quote that was recommended by several folks, knowing the whole time I was going to do it. So I went ahead and quoted my lumber. The company came out, took pictures, I explained what I wanted and I even sent them a picture of what I wanted and an AutoCAD drawing with all the measurements. A week later I called to see about my quote and was told they just finished it. I was quoted $1500 to tear down existing deck and due to the cost of lumber to rebuild would be................ drum roll please............... $13,000. So to replace my deck would be $14,500. I priced my lumber around $2500. So I would imagine for $12,000 labor it would all be done before lunch. I don't think so. I didn't tell them that I used to build so I was just another sucker to them. The sad part is that there are people not knowing better will paid that. I understand making a profit, but not robbing folks. That being said, I told the bride that I was going to send them a before and after picture along with the receipt and simply say, "Shame On You". I will be posting my work before and after when I'm finished.
That's all, please drive thru........... :)
#FollowMeAndIWillBlessYou
JCodd
10 Point

Re: Outrageous

Post by JCodd »

How do they charge, by the foot or do they try to guess on labor. I pour concrete and it all depends on the job how I bid it.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Yep, people with money will pay those prices and go right on like it's just part of life, but folks like myself will shovel a load or two of gravel by hand, or build what I can when I can to try to keep from having to deal with such thieves. 😡
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
scat
8 Point

Post by scat »

Only thing I pay to have done is tire changes and digging footers. When i get to where i cant do for myself, I'll need to be on Prozac or something because I will flip out on them when they try to rape me.
Joe Biden is just Hillary Clinton with a smaller cod.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

I am going to have to redo a few parts of my deck around my pool soon. I dread it!
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

My dad and i did his deck. It was fairly labor intensive but we did it. I can see why nobody wants to cut you a deal on it. Lol
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

Going to re-do my deck also. Maybe lumber prices will go down a little more by the end of “The season” lol
Greet the day, make him gobble!!
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Understand completely brother . Built on to my house three different times and by no means am I a carpenter but did save bunches of money . Glad your capable brother one day you might not be . Dug footer by hand on one build and for my carport dug those six by six holes by hand . Couldn't begin to do that now I don't think .