Unexpected car battery failure.....and battery prices...WTF??

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Jethro
10 Point

Unexpected car battery failure.....and battery prices...WTF??

Post by Jethro »

So, over the last week or so, the wife's fancy Jeep has acted up a little. Occasionally, when ive gotten in it, it failed to turn over...but....wait a minute or two, and it would start. Never gave her any problems at all, just me. It was obviously intermittent. I did think that it seemed weak when turning over, but it wasn't bad. I just thought I wasn't holding the button down long enough.
This morning I go out to move it so I can get mower out to sharpen blades. Get in it...ru, .....ru.. only a half azzed attempt to turn over with each push of the button. Thinking it might possibly be my key fob (I dont understand all this electronic crap), she comes out and tries hers....same result.
Make a call to auto parts store to see if they have a battery for it....sure do.....just bring your own KY!!!
Now, my hesitation about it being the battery is.....it has remote start, and that annoying thing where it turns off at stops and stuff. (We always push the button to avoid that feature). Im not sure how many batteries it has....or where they are. The main battery is pretty accessible, right where it belongs.
I used my truck and jumper cables and it started right up... convincing me that it was the battery.
Head to auto parts store... The factory battery is an 850 cca AGM battery. Got them to test it....235 cca....its shot.
254.00 later, its starting like a brand new one. 254 is more than Im used to paying for car batteries.... especially since they claim the agm batteries last so long (this one was 3 yrs old). On a positive note...they did install it for free...and it has a 3 yr replacement warranty.....so maybe I wont have to worry about it for a few years.....

Oh well, now to work on the mower blades...
Tngrizzly_

Re: Unexpected car battery failure.....and battery prices...WTF??

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

Yes they just shot up in price the last few years
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
Shane37110
10 Point

Post by Shane37110 »

Thank Obama and Biden for shutting down the last remaining lead smelters we had.
Planking
6 Point

Post by Planking »

I bought one about a month ago for about that and its already dead. Im about to hook the charger up to it. :roll:
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Planking wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:08 pm I bought one about a month ago for about that and its already dead. Im about to hook the charger up to it. :roll:
Geezzz, you didnt get much use from that one.
Even they guy at the parts store said....yeah, the agm batteries last about twice as long as a lead acid battery. Pfft, ive had regular batteries last 6-7 years. This agm last 3 years...sounds like someone got it backwards.
I went back with an agm because of all the electronics on the vehicle. I can see how that would put a big strain on one. Plus, we bought the jeep used, for all i know the previous owner let it stop/start at every intersection. Time will tell.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Jethro wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:38 am So, over the last week or so, the wife's fancy Jeep has acted up a little. Occasionally, when ive gotten in it, it failed to turn over...but....wait a minute or two, and it would start. Never gave her any problems at all, just me. It was obviously intermittent. I did think that it seemed weak when turning over, but it wasn't bad. I just thought I wasn't holding the button down long enough.
This morning I go out to move it so I can get mower out to sharpen blades. Get in it...ru, .....ru.. only a half azzed attempt to turn over with each push of the button. Thinking it might possibly be my key fob (I dont understand all this electronic crap), she comes out and tries hers....same result.
Make a call to auto parts store to see if they have a battery for it....sure do.....just bring your own KY!!!
Now, my hesitation about it being the battery is.....it has remote start, and that annoying thing where it turns off at stops and stuff. (We always push the button to avoid that feature). Im not sure how many batteries it has....or where they are. The main battery is pretty accessible, right where it belongs.
I used my truck and jumper cables and it started right up... convincing me that it was the battery.
Head to auto parts store... The factory battery is an 850 cca AGM battery. Got them to test it....235 cca....its shot.
254.00 later, its starting like a brand new one. 254 is more than Im used to paying for car batteries.... especially since they claim the agm batteries last so long (this one was 3 yrs old). On a positive note...they did install it for free...and it has a 3 yr replacement warranty.....so maybe I wont have to worry about it for a few years.....

Awesome that's nothing for a man with your means . I've had to pay out for three batteries this year so I'm in the club .
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

snakester50 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:32 pm
Jethro wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:38 am So, over the last week or so, the wife's fancy Jeep has acted up a little. Occasionally, when ive gotten in it, it failed to turn over...but....wait a minute or two, and it would start. Never gave her any problems at all, just me. It was obviously intermittent. I did think that it seemed weak when turning over, but it wasn't bad. I just thought I wasn't holding the button down long enough.

Awesome that's nothing for a man with your means . I've had to pay out for three batteries this year so I'm in the club .
Pfft, you sir are sadly mistaken....
scat
8 Point

Post by scat »

About 6 months ago I put one in the wife's Camaro that she hasn't driven in well over a year. It was the original Delco AGM from 2010 so I can't complain. A couple months ago I noticed the car battery dead from sitting. I charged it back up but didn't drive it. Guess I need to before the battery warranty goes out. Yeah, I also choked at the cost.
Joe Biden is just Hillary Clinton with a smaller cod.
MUP

Post by MUP »

At least it gave you some warning. I had a battery go out in my 98 Frontier in 3 years. Factory battery, and it just died outside a walmart in McMinnville right before Christmas. Went in, got what I needed, came out and it was deader than a hammer. Went back in, bought a cheap tool set, came back out and took it out, right back in and bought a new one, core already on the counter, back on the road in about 15 min. I guess that was about in 2001 or 2002. I still have that cheap set of tools under the seat in that truck. :mrgreen:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Just wait until most of the vehicle is the battery and you have a failure......as the left's plan (BHO 2.0 )continues to come together.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

Wiley wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:47 pm Just wait until most of the vehicle is the battery and you have a failure......as the left's plan (BHO 2.0 )continues to come together.
As long as I can keep my old (80s) s10 going ..I aint buying an electric car. I will walk first!!