Well Crap

DEERREPELLANT
Button

Well Crap

Post by DEERREPELLANT »

I have lost out again. I really would like to donate some time to help someone around here if they are doing a plot or just maintance. I have an area i would like to do something in but don't know what to plant and when. I heard some people talking at the co-opp and they said it was too late to plant :(
Excuse me, did you happen to see a heard of racoons around here. Rummer is they are wiping out my corn piles.
Creeping Death

Re: Well Crap

Post by Creeping Death »

DEERREPELLANT wrote:I have lost out again. I really would like to donate some time to help someone around here if they are doing a plot or just maintance. I have an area i would like to do something in but don't know what to plant and when. I heard some people talking at the co-opp and they said it was too late to plant :(
You have not lost out. It's not too late. It's not even close to being too late. My plots won't get planted for another month or so.
DEERREPELLANT
Button

Post by DEERREPELLANT »

What do you plant?
Excuse me, did you happen to see a heard of racoons around here. Rummer is they are wiping out my corn piles.
Creeping Death

Post by Creeping Death »

I will be planting a mix of clover and oats. The oats will come up pretty quickly and the deer should be on them soon after. The clover will come along slower, which is fine.

August and September is prime planting time for fall food plots. Soil testing and preparation is key for achieving the best results. You should get your soil tested ASAP and get some lime down now if the soil pH is too low. Then fertilize and plant around the beginning of September. You could probably plant now if you want. With the cool temps and rain this year, there's less risk of summer heat and drought ruining your plot. Some of the guys on our lease planted their plots last weekend. I'm waiting until mid-August.
DEERREPELLANT
Button

Post by DEERREPELLANT »

Where do you take soil to be tested and thank You for your guidance.

Sent from a Redneck with Tapatalk
Creeping Death

Post by Creeping Death »

There are different options to get your soil tested. Here are some of them.

1. You can buy a self-test kit at Lowe's or Home Deport or online and do it yourself. I do not have enough experience using these amateur test kits to know how accurate they are.

Here is an example of a full self-test kit that tests for pH, nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium:
http://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1601- ... l+test+kit

Here is an example of a self-test kit that only tests for pH:
http://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-1612- ... l+test+kit

2. Some Co-ops offer soil test services. You could call your local co-op and see if they offer this service and how much it costs.

3. The agriculture department in many universities will offer soil test services if you send them a sample.

4. Some companies that sell game management products also provide soil testing services.

For example, you can purchase this laboratory soil-test kit from Whitetail Institute for $13.95. You order the kit, take a sample, send it to them and they get back you to within one week with the results. They say the service also include a professional consultation by calling 800-688-3030 x 2.
http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/soil-test-kit-1/

Another example is Mossy Oak, who sells the BioLogic products. With them, you take a sample, download their soil sample information sheet, fill out the sheet, mail the soil sample and the sheet to them with $7.50, and then within 36 hrs of receiving your sample they will test it and get back to you with the results via e-mail, including a recommendation of how much lime to apply. The information and the form are available here.
http://www.plantbiologic.com/t-soil.aspx

I am getting ready to send mine into Mossy Oak.
DEERREPELLANT
Button

Post by DEERREPELLANT »

Thank you for the information, i will try to get some sent out or just do it myself this time.
Nealmeally

Post by Nealmeally »

I planted soybeans in my plots the second week of August last year. Did it on purpose so they wouldn't all be eat up come season. Worked out great.. They grew big enough to produce beans and the deer were in em good right when season opened. I could have probably planted them even later and they would have still produced beans. Year before last I planted them in early July and they were all gone by the time season opened..

Have big ag fields planted in soybeans all around me. They are planted early so the deer are in them all summer. When the soybeans start turning yellow the deer kinda leave em alone. So a few hundred yards away in the thick stuff is my beans that are just now at the stage where the deer really pound them... Draws in good right when season opens.
Luck is when opportunity meets preparation...