Calling?

Who's getting after them?
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Calling?

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Ok I feel like my biggest problem when it comes to turkey hunting is that I call to much and spook them. I know we have several turkey hunters on here so what is your preference on the sequence of calling?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Huntaholic
10 Point

Re: Calling?

Post by Huntaholic »

DO NOT call to him in the tree! There are certain exceptions to that and unfortunately youll have to learn those on your own, but if you don't have hens roosted with him or between you and him and you don't have other hunters to worry about, DONT CALL UNTIL HE HITS THE GROUND!
Once he answers you and youre sure he knows where you are, SHUT UP! Don't make another sound until hes almost out of hearing going away from you. 99% of people call WAY TOO MUCH!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Tree call, aka SOFT yelps, so soft if you can hera them 50 yards, its too loud! IF he answers you, SHUT UP!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Its hard to explain but I can tell by how a turkey gobbles if hes killable or not. My youngest son, when he wants to do it, is as good as anybody Ive ever seen. An example:
He and I and a buddy of mine that lives in MI and hadn't killed many turkeys at the time, were hunting in MI in a place we hadn't ever been. 15 different turkeys gobbled at daylight and my son and I BOTH pointed to the same turkey at the same time and said "we can kill that one". 30 minutes later and he was flopping in front of us, lol. My MI buddy asked me "how did BOTH of you at the same time, KNOW you could kill that PARTICULAR turkey?" Neither one of us could answer that question! Its just something you FEEL.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I think it was Ben Rogers Lee that said it. but if you call to a turkey ONE time from the bottom of a well 500 yards from a turkey and he answers you, SHUT UP. If he wants to he can walk right to the lip of that well and look down in it at you! That's how good they can pinpoint you. Calling beyond that just makes more chances to screw something up.
bullet
Spike

Post by bullet »

One of these days I’ll figure some of this and kill a gullible gobbler!!
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

bullet wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:43 pm One of these days I’ll figure some of this and kill a gullible gobbler!!
Me too! I've killed a few but I'm by no means good at it.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
bullet
Spike

Post by bullet »

I’m hoping Huntaholic will teach me how to kill them!!!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

bullet wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:28 pm I’m hoping Huntaholic will teach me how to kill them!!!
LOL I taught you about 20 years ago! I remember one trip out west when the student outdid the teacher too! Seemed like every time I turned around you were coming back to the truck with ANOTHER dead merriams or Rio!
bullet
Spike

Post by bullet »

Huntaholic wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:14 pm
bullet wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:28 pm I’m hoping Huntaholic will teach me how to kill them!!!
LOL I taught you about 20 years ago! I remember one trip out west when the student outdid the teacher too! Seemed like every time I turned around you were coming back to the truck with ANOTHER dead merriams or Rio!
Beginners luck !!! .rolling.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

So when the bird hits the groung do you stick with a simple yelp? If so how often do you call to the bird? I know the answer varies depending on the situation but lets just say typically.

Theodore Roosevelt
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

WG Taxidermist wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:11 pm So when the bird hits the groung do you stick with a simple yelp? If so how often do you call to the bird? I know the answer varies depending on the situation but lets just say typically.
As little as possible! Once he answers you, HE KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE.
Tru-Talker
6 Point

Post by Tru-Talker »

I only call enuff to keep him interested....but really all depends on the bird to....Them jokers will come in silent on ya and bust that ass as well.... Them birds have keen location senses.....It dont take but one call amd they can pinpoint you 200 yards away....Thats why I don't call a whole lot....I keep mine to a minimum...
Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves....
Rob R.
8 Point

Post by Rob R. »

Still testing for Jethro!😁😁
"Take me hunting daddy!"
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

We had them going plumb nutzo here during deer season. Strutting, gobbling, cackling, purrin and chasing all through the fields and even the woods. I sure hope they act that way this spring. Probably be clear across the country in Kansas with h Dorthy and Toto
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

caretaker wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:41 am We had them going plumb nutzo here during deer season. Strutting, gobbling, cackling, purrin and chasing all through the fields and even the woods. I sure hope they act that way this spring. Probably be clear across the country in Kansas with h Dorthy and Toto
We hunt some property like that. During fall/deer season, they are everywhere...huge flocks of them. Come spring...only way you could get a bird there is if you brought it with you. I dont know where they go.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Jethro wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:39 am
caretaker wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:41 am We had them going plumb nutzo here during deer season. Strutting, gobbling, cackling, purrin and chasing all through the fields and even the woods. I sure hope they act that way this spring. Probably be clear across the country in Kansas with h Dorthy and Toto
We hunt some property like that. During fall/deer season, they are everywhere...huge flocks of them. Come spring...only way you could get a bird there is if you brought it with you. I dont know where they go.
Turkeys move with the seasons. That's why it doesn't really mean anything to get winter pics of flocks of longbeards with 20 birds in it. Those 20 birds will scatter out come spring and may be 2 or 3 miles from where they were all winter.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Huntaholic wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:05 pm
Jethro wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:39 am
Turkeys move with the seasons. That's why it doesn't really mean anything to get winter pics of flocks of longbeards with 20 birds in it. Those 20 birds will scatter out come spring and may be 2 or 3 miles from where they were all winter.
I always wondered what happened to my birds. I guess that answers it.

Theodore Roosevelt