My slice of heaven

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Wiley
10 Point

My slice of heaven

Post by Wiley »

WGT's post on the acreage that he recently bought triggered some memories for me. For many years I dreamed of buying some land very near where I grew up in a $20 a month, 4 room farmhouse. That area has always held a special place in my heart and I live 15 miles from there. Eventually I was able to buy 3 separate but adjoining tracts that total 13 acres with 130 feet of paved county road frontage that's less than a half mile from where the old house stood. I planned to build a Barndo at the back and out of sight of the road but, alas I aged too dang fast. So, it's 13 acres of heaven for me with a chert road that I built with rental dozers and a track hoe. I pushed the debris that I cleared for the road into a huge pile in the middle of the 2 1/2 acre field at the back as a barrier for a 1/2 acre food plot on the south end of the field. I trenched 1" pex and CATV hardline to the back during the 2nd summer that I had the place. Next I built a permanent target and my son got me a portable shooting table for Christmas that year. This is where I do my shooting for verifying zero on weapons and load development sessions for new ammo that I put together. This spring I will build permanent, concrete shooting tables at 100 and 200 yards. Moving that portable table is not bad but I'm lazy in my old age and don't want to deal with it any more. I can get all the way to 300 yards and may build a table there as well.

For now, the pic below is what I have. The target is to the right of the old hunting blind that the roof has fallen on. My food plot is just to the right of the blind. A couple of years ago we were shooting and when I walked down to change the target there was a young 6 point in the plot. Over the last 8 years we've taken a few deer there with most being youngsters getting their first or second deer off that plot.

The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
rabbit

Re: My slice of heaven

Post by rabbit »

Nice
#FollowMeAndIWillBlessYou
MUP

Post by MUP »

Man that is nice! I love just being out on my place!
Attachments
IMG_20201031_103120153_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20201031_103120153_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg (415.6 KiB) Viewed 235 times
IMG_20201121_070322450.jpg
IMG_20201121_070322450.jpg (560.05 KiB) Viewed 237 times
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

Heck yeah, MUP! It seems that we've both been blessed and way beyond what I deserve on my end. Of the times that I was having to use a public shooting range, the last conduct of a few shooters was not as safe as I prefer. I'm glad those days are over.
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

Congrats on getting your Lil piece of heaven here on earth. The fact that a deer or two happen to cruise the area is an added bonus.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Very nice! It's a great feeling knowing you have a place of your own to do the things you love to do.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Nothing like having somewhere to put down your roots. Ive been very blessed to be able to own a little ground thanks to the good Lord and HARD work. It IS still possible to buy land that has enough timber on it to pay for it. Even if it doesn't pay for it, timber is a crop and a young man can plan on maybe 3 cuttings in his lifetime if its done right each time. NO, I don't know where any land like that is right now, if I did I would have already bought it!
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Everyone needs a place to get out and stretch his legs and reboot from the worlds madness.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Longrange wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:44 pm Everyone needs a place to get out and stretch his legs and reboot from the worlds madness.
I don't think you need to be even considering stretching your legs any time soon! That didn't work out too well for you the last time! whistlin
Swamper
8 Point

Post by Swamper »

That is great! Congrats!! I’m sure you will get everything right and utilize it to the most!!
Greet the day, make him gobble!!
Rob R.
8 Point

Post by Rob R. »

Huntaholic wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:22 pm
Longrange wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:44 pm Everyone needs a place to get out and stretch his legs and reboot from the worlds madness.
I don't think you need to be even considering stretching your legs any time soon! That didn't work out too well for you the last time! whistlin
whAT?
"Take me hunting daddy!"
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Rob R. wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 pm
whAT?
LOL he was dragging out a deer, fell backwards off a bluff and his knee bent forward in stead of backwards. 3 months and 2 surgeries later, hes on the mend but the LAST thing he needs is to stretch his legs!
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Huntaholic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:20 pm
whAT?
LOL he was dragging out a deer, fell backwards off a bluff and his knee bent forward in stead of backwards. 3 months and 2 surgeries later, hes on the mend but the LAST thing he needs is to stretch his legs!
Just for the record, I was going to get the deer when I fell. .rolling.
Rob R.
8 Point

Post by Rob R. »

Longrange wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:08 pm
Huntaholic wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:20 pm
whAT?
Just for the record, I was going to get the deer when I fell. .rolling.
Now I understand. I did a little digging and found your post about your knee. I hope you and its doing better.
"Take me hunting daddy!"
Lost Lake
10 Point

Post by Lost Lake »

I like that. Nice to know you can go there and do what you like without being beholden to anyone.
A man is best measured not by what motivates him, but what it takes to stop him.
MUP

Post by MUP »

Lost Lake wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:44 pm I like that. Nice to know you can go there and do what you like without being beholden to anyone.
I wish. I have to worry about stinking trespassers and methheads almost constantly, and poachers as well. Then, as in the case this season, aNOTHer tract of land changed hands adjacent to mine and I go thru the same thing each and every time with all of them. They think their property runs over on mine, they can't read their own maps that they bring to show ME where the lines are, and I have to end up taking down THEIR flags that they've tied up over on my property, THINKING (when they're obviously not equipped for it) that they KNOW where the lines are at. Geez, it's never a case of them putting the flags too far over on THEIR side of the line, wonder why that is? I say they're thieves at heart and just seeing if anyone will say anything. Well, I ALWAYS do! Keep an eye on it buddy is all I can tell you. You will get the utmost enjoyment out of it, but you have to be vigilant for sneaking trespassers and poachers and the like if it's anything like out on my place.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

MUP wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:12 am
Lost Lake wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:44 pm I like that. Nice to know you can go there and do what you like without being beholden to anyone.
I wish. I have to worry about stinking trespassers and methheads almost constantly, and poachers as well. Then, as in the case this season, aNOTHer tract of land changed hands adjacent to mine and I go thru the same thing each and every time with all of them. They think their property runs over on mine, they can't read their own maps that they bring to show ME where the lines are, and I have to end up taking down THEIR flags that they've tied up over on my property, THINKING (when they're obviously not equipped for it) that they KNOW where the lines are at. Geez, it's never a case of them putting the flags too far over on THEIR side of the line, wonder why that is? I say they're thieves at heart and just seeing if anyone will say anything. Well, I ALWAYS do! Keep an eye on it buddy is all I can tell you. You will get the utmost enjoyment out of it, but you have to be vigilant for sneaking trespassers and poachers and the like if it's anything like out on my place.
One or 2 heads on a pike would get your message across loud and clear!