4 types of turkey hunters you will encounter this spring

Who's getting after them?
Sackett
8 Point

4 types of turkey hunters you will encounter this spring

Post by Sackett »

This is pretty accurate although there are probably some tangents and spin offs from the 4 types.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/four-typ ... is-spring/
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Huntaholic
10 Point

Re: 4 types of turkey hunters you will encounter this spring

Post by Huntaholic »

Link no workie for me. Could be my ancient electrizical device though.
ibhuntng
Spike

Post by ibhuntng »

two thumbs
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

I still cant see it but if you would tell me who each type fits I bet I can figure it out! AT least one type is Turpin style, one type is Catman reaper style, one type is my style, and one is Edgar style aka the fashionisto type.
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

I would say that I'm more of the camper. Once I get to the spot I think they will be at I don't move much.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
ibhuntng
Spike

Post by ibhuntng »

i put my flock of decoys in the truck at lunchtime. :D
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

ibhuntng wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm i put my flock of decoys in the truck at lunchtime. :D
LOL that's better than Turpin! He lets his dead bird lay on the porch in the Texas heat all day just to show it off and still EATS IT!
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Huntaholic wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:40 pm
ibhuntng wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:13 pm i put my flock of decoys in the truck at lunchtime. :D
LOL that's better than Turpin! He lets his dead bird lay on the porch in the Texas heat all day just to show it off and still EATS IT!
And then YOU drag a 6ft western diamondback out from under MY DAMN BED! GEEZ! I aint ever been in a place that I wore my snakeboots INSIDE the house until then!
ibhuntng
Spike

Post by ibhuntng »

.rolling.
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:42 pm
Huntaholic wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:40 pm
And then YOU drag a 6ft western diamondback out from under MY DAMN BED! GEEZ! I aint ever been in a place that I wore my snakeboots INSIDE the house until then!
That was under my bedroom window!!! You were in the next room. I slept with my snake boots on the rest of the week after that :D
In the end it is up to the man what he becomes, and none of those other things matter. In horses, dogs and men it is character that counts. Louis L'Amour in his novel, Chancy
Sackett
8 Point

Post by Sackett »

Huntaholic wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:39 pm Link no workie for me. Could be my ancient electrizical device though.
Here are the four types it lists...

The Sage
He was around for the wild turkey restoration, and he’ll tell anyone who’ll listen all about it. Back in those days, he had to make every gobble count. That’s why he’s such a killer now.
The faded camouflage on his boonie hat matches the gray in his beard. He keeps a copy of Tenth Legion in his vest and can quote from it on command. He wears a hatband made of turkey spurs, and a wingbone yelper on a leather lanyard around his neck. Because the wingbone sounds like crap, he does all of his actual turkey calling with a two-sided paddle box. His A-5 has a fixed Full-choke barrel and is wrapped in Trebark tape.
The Sage is good at killing Eastern gobblers in the timber. He knows when to call and when to shut up, when to move and when to sit still. He believes that anyone who’d fan a turkey would also hammer-smash ducklings, and he can’t accept that his famously wary gamebird will ignore a 6-foot pop-up blind in the middle of a field. The Sage looks forward to each spring more than the last—and at the end of it, he usually has a few fresh spurs for his hatband.

The Performer
Show this man a hardwood ridge, and he’ll show you a stage where he can put his contest-calling routine on display. Whether a turkey gobbles or not, the Performer will let loose with yelps, cutts, or fighting purrs. He arranges his instruments before him in the predawn like a surgeon preparing for a transplant. Pots and strikers and box calls will be laid out alongside chalk, grit stone, and sandpaper. mouth calls are likewise carefully organized: a ghost cut for tree yelps, and shipwrecks for raspy, suggestive talk. For emergencies, he brings along a custom-built scratch box. Throughout the morning, he’ll cycle from one call to the next until he finds the day’s magic sound.
Some turkey hunters (mostly those who can’t call) will say that the Performer is too noisy. He’ll reply that a gobbler that can’t hear you won’t come—especially if it’s hung up on the far side of a canyon or a four-lane highway. For the Performer, the calls and the calling are the very best part of spring. To bag a bird that isn’t searching for the source of the noise isn’t really bagging a bird at all.

The Go-Getter
The Go-Getter has never seen a longbeard that belly crawling couldn’t kill. His answer to any turkey hunting dilemma is to move closer. Always. Slither through 10 inches of ditch water. Sneak around the back side of a hill. Or just crouch and walk behind a fan or a gobbler decoy. Waiting, watching, and listening are not for him.
He’s most at home around fields, where he can see a turkey and move when it’s time. A henned-up strutter, the type that won’t come to traditional calling and decoying tactics, is in trouble.
The Go-Getter will spook some turkeys. Some hunters view his tactics as blasphemous and unsafe (he’s banned in Pennsylvania, where stalking turkeys is illegal). But neither alarm putts nor highbrows will slow him down because at the end of the season, he’ll probably kill more turkeys than everyone else on the list—and have at least as much fun scaring away the rest of them. Over the next hill or in the next county, there’s always another strutter with a ditch 40 yards away. The Go-Getter pours the creek water out of his boots and goes.

The Camper
No turkey was ever spooked by someone sitting quietly and waiting, and so that’s how the Camper hunts. He finds a field that he likes and erects a blind. He doesn’t bring a decoy; he brings an entire artificial flock. Each individual fake is set precisely and for a purpose. Hell to the hunting buddy who faces the jake in the wrong direction.
The Camper will not move, even if there’s a turkey gobbling like a fool 500 yards away. In a few hours—or maybe tomorrow—that turkey could end up in the decoy spread. He is not deterred by hunger, thirst, or boredom because there’s a cooler in the corner of the blind and a full charge on his smartphone.
He’ll do some calling, but not much. On the rainy days and the windy days, when the turkeys aren’t talking and other hunters have gone home, the Camper’s best weapon is simply that he will be there, waiting for the tom that at some point is
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Well CRAP!! Depending on where Im at, Ive used every single one of those tactics successfully. When I go out of state, Im going to kill turkeys PERIOD. When Im home, I wont kill one that doesn't gobble and play the game exactly like I want him to play it, season is too long and the limit is too small to JUST go kill turkeys. Ive walked off and left birds that I had the gun on and in range before simply because I didn't call him up the way I want to. BUT, when Im in KS, NE, NM, TX, FL, I have zero problem pulling a Mohican sneakin on one!