Another snow system coming.

Members giving us the weather info
Deerbuster
10 Point

Another snow system coming.

Post by Deerbuster »

Saying this should be more snow than ice. Suppose to snow all day Friday.
GO LSU
BSK
10 Point

Re: Another snow system coming.

Post by BSK »

Looks like a good chance of snow, especially in East TN, for Friday into Saturday. Should be rain on Thursday into Friday morning, turning to snow from west to east across the state on Friday. Light snow should persist in Middle TN until about noon Saturday, but all day Saturday for East TN. Right now, one model suggests the path of heaviest snow for our area (>6 inches) runs from northwest TN up along the Ohio River and through central KY, while a second model suggest the heaviest snow (>8 inches) along the Cumberland Plateau into East KY. Neither of these models suggest significant snow for Middle TN. But all models are predicting this system becomes a monster for Washington DC and surrounding areas.

But this is a complicates system. It is so fast-moving that although it should be effecting us by tomorrow (Thursday), the system is still way out in the Western US. Much can change as it travels from there and here.
"Know where you stand and stand there" Jesuit Father Daniel Berrigan

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

NWS just placed Middle TN, including Nashville, under a Winter Storm Watch for Friday into Saturday morning. Potential for 3-5 inches of snow.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into" Jonathan Swift
Deerbuster
10 Point

Post by Deerbuster »

BSK wrote:NWS just placed Middle TN, including Nashville, under a Winter Storm Watch for Friday into Saturday morning. Potential for 3-5 inches of snow.
Same for the Union City area. 2inches Plus of sleet and snow.
GO LSU
Beefydeer
4 Point

Post by Beefydeer »

I'm already tired of it. Bring on spring.
"I'm just tryin to deer hunt."

You can't fix stupid!!!
7mminatree
8 Point

Post by 7mminatree »

A little worried, we all ready had 2 icey inches on the ground before this stuff today. I'm thinking we got 8+ today and it's still coming down. We got several big mountains around us here (6000 footers) and we get the mountain effect when it snows. Friday and Saturday could be a hunker down and get buried event for us. Getting all my heat sources prepped and ready.
MUP

Post by MUP »

The local weather called for up to 7.5 inches down into the lower plateau region(Grundy,VanBuren, and upper Sequatchie).
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Deerbuster wrote:
BSK wrote:NWS just placed Middle TN, including Nashville, under a Winter Storm Watch for Friday into Saturday morning. Potential for 3-5 inches of snow.
Same for the Union City area. 2inches Plus of sleet and snow.
Actually, latest model runs suggest the Union City area may take the brunt of the storm. Models are all drifting towards the heaviest snow--even potentially blizzard-like conditions--from Memphis up through Paducah. Basically the parts of TN west of Jackson. The last model runs have backed off of big snow for the Plateau. Now the mountains--they always get it!

leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

Watching the local news and the crazy thing is with the rotation of the storm Knoxville is going to get the last of the sow. This area will be a donut hole of rain with the rest of the area and states around us getting snow first and the rotation sliding across until we get snow after ALOT of rain.
Asheville area is supposed to get ALOT of ice on the front end....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
caretaker
10 Point

Post by caretaker »

I have seen the weather channel drop the prediction of snow for K-town from 100 cents worth on Saturday to 50 cents worth.
I`m just here for the girl`s wet teeshirt and mud wrestling contest.

M.T. Pockets
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Here's the latest GFS model run snowfall totals for this storm. Looks like they've shifted the heaviest snow totals eastward towards Clarksville instead of far western TN:

http://grib2.com/gfs/CONUS_GFS0P5_SFC_A ... _120HR.gif

BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Lowest forecast snow totals are along the I-75 corridor from Chattanooga to Knoxville.

leader
Site Admin

Post by leader »

So your saying Knoxville will get LESS snow but nonetheless they think snow?
The map
Looks like 2-3in for this area....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only dumb questions are those never asked!!!!
MUP

Post by MUP »

BSK wrote:Here's the latest GFS model run snowfall totals for this storm. Looks like they've shifted the heaviest snow totals eastward towards Clarksville instead of far western TN:

That little drop down of green(4") is just about right over us Bryan. North northwest of Chattanooga. I think we're going to be, once again, along a dividing line between a "skif" of snow, and a foot.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

MUP wrote:
BSK wrote:Here's the latest GFS model run snowfall totals for this storm. Looks like they've shifted the heaviest snow totals eastward towards Clarksville instead of far western TN:

That little drop down of green(4") is just about right over us Bryan. North northwest of Chattanooga. I think we're going to be, once again, along a dividing line between a "skif" of snow, and a foot.
Take look at the forecast snowfall totals from the Morristown NWS office:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mrx/

...and the Nashville office:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/bna/

BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Interestingly, the latest runs from two different models (GFS and NAM) both suggest the Low Pressure system will travel farther south than previously forecast. Earlier forecasts had the Low running pretty much west to east right down the length of TN. Latest runs have the Low tracking across northern MS and AL. This track would shift the rain-snow line further south, transitioning the precipitation from rain to snow sooner than previously forecast (earlier in the day Friday), at least north of I-40. That would increase snow totals north of I-40.

BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Just noticed the Morristown office just upgraded their snow totals forecast for Knoxville closer to 4 inches instead of the 2 inches they had earlier. Interesting...

BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Rain transitioned to snow MUCH earlier than forecast here in Nashville. What had been expected to be a noon transition turned into a 6 AM transition, and snow is accumulating quickly. I think we're going to get more than the 3 inches forecast for the area.

MUP

Post by MUP »

I can see it on the radar turning quickly to ice and snow. What are the latest accumulation totals for the lower half of the state Bryan? SE Tn more specifically.
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

Forecast for Chattanooga was still only 2-3 inches, but I bet up on the southern end of the Plateau it turns out be 4+ inches.

farmin68
4 Point

Post by farmin68 »

BSK, the snow has stopped here in Clarksville. Is this the end of it?
BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

farmin68 wrote:BSK, the snow has stopped here in Clarksville. Is this the end of it?
Radar shows it still snowing there at 11:15

BSK
10 Point

Post by BSK »

6+ inches in Nashville. All freeways blocked by wrecks. Largest snowfall in Nashville in over a decade.