Soup anyone

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Diehard
10 Point

Re: Soup anyone

Post by Diehard »

Sorry, just seeing this thread! I have been swamped lately! Anyway, I use beetles. The biggest problems with beetles is keeping the environment right. You can’t let them get cold, you can’t let them get above 85 degrees, they need moisture, but not too much, and it can be a real pain keeping the spiders out of the big box! My big box is 2’x 2’x 4’ with a screen top that I place carpet over. For wooden boxes, I seal the inside with epoxy resin so they can’t squeeze out between boards and they can’t chew their way out. I line the top edge with vasine incase any decide to climb. The bottom of the box is covered in 2-4” of small mammal bedding (cellulose or aspen chips). I then place a piece of plywood on top of the bedding to put my skulls on. This way, the beetles can hide in the bedding but they can’t bury any part of the skull. This prevents excess moisture in the bedding and stops any staining of the skull. Remove as much meat as possible, remove the brain and eyes. And place the skull in to let them eat. When my colony is going full force, they can clean a deer in 3-5 days. I keep them fed in the office season with predator skulls, hamburger, etc. they can survive on dry dog food, but it is not ideal. I am having to move my office right now, so I have let all my beetles die. I will get a new colony going next fall.
Suck it up.....buttercup!
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

shootnmiss wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:06 am I used to simmer mine, THEN I learned a new trick. Get the skin off, put it in a big enough container that you can close the lid. I use a small chest deep freezer that's up behind my barn. Throw it in it, cover with water and walk away. After a couple months dump it out and wash with hose.
I bet the smell is bad.
How clean does it get doing that?
I wonder if I put it at the edge of a pond and tie it off, if the fish will help clean them up!
GOD, Family, and the Great Outdoors. What more can a Man Want
akachuck
8 Point

Post by akachuck »

I’m makin another pot if y’all are still hungry
Attachments
75F8B78A-04C7-491B-A024-E75B99360FCE.jpeg
75F8B78A-04C7-491B-A024-E75B99360FCE.jpeg (606.49 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Jesus turned water into wine, I turned it into liquor.- popcorn Sutton
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

akachuck wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:56 pm I’m makin another pot if y’all are still hungry
Can't be any more worse than your mom cooking 🤣
akachuck
8 Point

Post by akachuck »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:59 pm
akachuck wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:56 pm I’m makin another pot if y’all are still hungry
You’ll be getting a very kind response from her once she gets back from Nashville
Jesus turned water into wine, I turned it into liquor.- popcorn Sutton
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:55 pm
shootnmiss wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:06 am I used to simmer mine, THEN I learned a new trick. Get the skin off, put it in a big enough container that you can close the lid. I use a small chest deep freezer that's up behind my barn. Throw it in it, cover with water and walk away. After a couple months dump it out and wash with hose.
I bet the smell is bad.
I wonder if I put it at the edge of a pond and tie it off, if the fish will help clean them up!
If I ever get off work I'll post a picture. They come out clean as hell. Nice and white
I wanna go back to 1776 when men had balls and chicks didn't
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

super
shootnmiss wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:12 pm
Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:55 pm
I bet the smell is bad.
If I ever get off work I'll post a picture. They come out clean as hell. Nice and white
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

Found a pic
Attachments
IMG_20200903_191029337.jpg
IMG_20200903_191029337.jpg (232.41 KiB) Viewed 293 times
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

Diehard wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:01 pm Sorry, just seeing this thread! I have been swamped lately! Anyway, I use beetles. The biggest problems with beetles is keeping the environment right. You can’t let them get cold, you can’t let them get above 85 degrees, they need moisture, but not too much, and it can be a real pain keeping the spiders out of the big box! My big box is 2’x 2’x 4’ with a screen top that I place carpet over. For wooden boxes, I seal the inside with epoxy resin so they can’t squeeze out between boards and they can’t chew their way out. I line the top edge with vasine incase any decide to climb. The bottom of the box is covered in 2-4” of small mammal bedding (cellulose or aspen chips). I then place a piece of plywood on top of the bedding to put my skulls on. This way, the beetles can hide in the bedding but they can’t bury any part of the skull. This prevents excess moisture in the bedding and stops any staining of the skull. Remove as much meat as possible, remove the brain and eyes. And place the skull in to let them eat. When my colony is going full force, they can clean a deer in 3-5 days. I keep them fed in the office season with predator skulls, hamburger, etc. they can survive on dry dog food, but it is not ideal. I am having to move my office right now, so I have let all my beetles die. I will get a new colony going next fall.
How do you deal with the grease in the bone.
Tngrizzly_

Post by Tngrizzly_ »

shootnmiss wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:27 pm Found a pic
And all you did was soak in water and wash away. I know you said that you took the hide off first
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:24 pm
shootnmiss wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:27 pm Found a pic
And all you did was soak in water and wash away. I know you said that you took the hide off first
That's it! Simple
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Tngrizzly_ wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:59 pm
X2! That's got to smell terrible for sure. Lol! So how do you get the smell out of the skull? Bone is coarse so it's going to soak up that stinky water.
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Diehard wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:01 pm Sorry, just seeing this thread! I have been swamped lately! Anyway, I use beetles. The biggest problems with beetles is keeping the environment right. You can’t let them get cold, you can’t let them get above 85 degrees, they need moisture, but not too much, and it can be a real pain keeping the spiders out of the big box! My big box is 2’x 2’x 4’ with a screen top that I place carpet over. For wooden boxes, I seal the inside with epoxy resin so they can’t squeeze out between boards and they can’t chew their way out. I line the top edge with vasine incase any decide to climb. The bottom of the box is covered in 2-4” of small mammal bedding (cellulose or aspen chips). I then place a piece of plywood on top of the bedding to put my skulls on. This way, the beetles can hide in the bedding but they can’t bury any part of the skull. This prevents excess moisture in the bedding and stops any staining of the skull. Remove as much meat as possible, remove the brain and eyes. And place the skull in to let them eat. When my colony is going full force, they can clean a deer in 3-5 days. I keep them fed in the office season with predator skulls, hamburger, etc. they can survive on dry dog food, but it is not ideal. I am having to move my office right now, so I have let all my beetles die. I will get a new colony going next fall.
Thanks for the response diehard! How do you regulate the temperature in the box? Do you use a heat lamp or some other heater?
Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president.

Theodore Roosevelt
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

The smell will air out. First time I did it, I had two hog skulls and two deer skulls in it. That was rough🤢
WG Taxidermist
Site Admin

Post by WG Taxidermist »

Four at once! I bet they were awful! Lol!

Theodore Roosevelt
shootnmiss
6 Point

Post by shootnmiss »

WG Taxidermist wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 pm Four at once! I bet they were awful! Lol!
You can't imagine. I tied the hog skulls up in sacks so I wouldn't lose the teeth. Cutting them open was bad.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

JCodd wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:04 pm
How do you deal with the grease in the bone.
I soak it in a mixture of hot water, biz no bleach detergent, and dawn dish soap multiple times until no more grease comes out.
Diehard
10 Point

Post by Diehard »

WG Taxidermist wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:11 pm
Thanks for the response diehard! How do you regulate the temperature in the box? Do you use a heat lamp or some other heater?
I keep them in a temperature controlled environment if possible. I kept mine in the garage, and put a heater in front of the box during the winter. During summer, I had a few flyers, but kept them out of the house with a permethrin barrier spray.