A step back in time......aka my contribution to keeping it active here

Pretty much anything you want to talk about
Huntaholic
10 Point

Re: A step back in time......aka my contribution to keeping it active here

Post by Huntaholic »

caretaker wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 am
Jethro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:09 am
caretaker wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:47 am I remember hearing about a big ol outdoors rock-'n'-roll party goin on out in the Woods up north. If memory serves me this was along about August of 1969. So me my brother,Mark and Ricky loaded up in Marks ol 58 Ford and headed north east. Never did see any woods just a big ol field full of people and more people. Could hear some rock-'n'-roll music blairin from some speakers and we even managed to get close enough to see the stage a few times. Yep, we were at Woodstock for about a day and a night.
Well that explains a few things.... 😂
15 to 16 year old kids. I was the only one with a legal driver's license. Mark, had a hardship license at 15. Ricky and my brother were 15. Ricky's family had a cabin on the lake and that's where we told our parents we were going. Ricky was a poor Lil rich kid and he basically bought all the gas and groceries. The rest of us might have had 5 to 7 each

Mark is in prison for manufacturing and selling meth

My brother passed away in 2006 while mowing with a blown widow maker

Last I heard Ricky was in a funny farm from too many drugs.

Sometimes memory lane hurts
That sounds like the makings of a hit country song!
clwg97
Button

Post by clwg97 »

Going to my great grandparents church and them having outhouses, actually a male and female outhouse.
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

clwg97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:06 pm Going to my great grandparents church and them having outhouses, actually a male and female outhouse.
"His" and "Hern" 😂
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

We had MTV and SNL and both were damn well worth catching on TV because none of it was political. We had cheap gas and full service gas stations. Telephone and CATV services were analog and could have "in the field arrangements" made with broke college girls, the farmers daughter and desperate housewives so there was no disconnect. Digital ruined all that :A :oops:
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

Another one that just came to mind is squirrel hunting ALONE when I was in the 3rd grade. As soon as I got home from school Id grab the single shot 22 rifle and hit the woods. Nobody blew a fuse about me being out there all alone either. Id usually get 2 or 3, take them to that same great grandmother I posted about earlier and she would skin them for me. LOL its kinda funny looking back now, but she wouldn't ever let me kill her squirrels in the woodlot behind her barn.
owlcreek
10 Point

Post by owlcreek »

clwg97 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:06 pm Going to my great grandparents church and them having outhouses, actually a male and female outhouse.
I remember the dinners on the ground and building the brush arbors.
timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

FLTENNHUNTER1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:18 pm Wiley triggered another memory with his VHF antenna comment...no remote on the TV. Had to get up and turn the knob. Of course daddy would make us do it; so in reality we were his remote control.
Channels 3, 9, and 12. Also remember loading that damn wood stove every chance I got lol
timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

owlcreek wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:47 pm
I've seen all that, I'm only 35 but Grundy county is about 40 years behind the rest of the world.
clwg97
Button

Post by clwg97 »

timberjack86 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm
I've seen all that, I'm only 35 but Grundy county is about 40 years behind the rest of the world.
I'm only 32 the outhouse was a farm church in Kansas.
timberjack86
6 Point

Post by timberjack86 »

clwg97 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:18 pm
timberjack86 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm
I'm only 32 the outhouse was a farm church in Kansas.
I know people back home that still don't have electricity and have dirt floors
Zach Markus
8 Point

Post by Zach Markus »

I’ve enjoyed this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Waiting on September 27th.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I remember Archie Bunker and Laugh In. THAT was REAL comedy!
The older I get the more I understand why roosters just scream to start their day.
FLTENNHUNTER1
8 Point

Post by FLTENNHUNTER1 »

All in the Family was the best show. I'm surprised Archie didn't strangle meathead.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.
- Thomas Paine
1oz 10% Permethrin : 15oz Water = 0.667%
1oz 10% Permethrin : 20oz Water = 0.5%

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

www.usdebtclock.org
Jethro
10 Point

Post by Jethro »

russianroulette-archiebunker.gif
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Like I first mentioned my papaw had a weird sense of humor. He bootleged for a living and down on the hollow below his house most of his customers lived there most black . They had a trail that come up through the grown up field with small patch of woods around it . The trail was worn to the dirt almost like concrete . My uncle and my self would booby trap the trail digging holes covering the hole up so they couldn't see it . Also made trip lines across the trail. Many come up to the house limping but that didn't stop them coming for some whiskey. At times I would climb the big maple tree out front and wait hours for a customer coming to purchase his fix . As soon as they was in range I'd start firing at them with my BB gun . They would start running for the back door not away but to the house beating on the back door. I'd usually quit shooting once they made the door. They would always tell my papaw that " little Stevie's up there in that tree shooting at me with his BB gun " ! Papaw would stick his head out the door and look up at me and tell the customer to be on the run cause I ain't climbing that tree to stop him . Never did whip me think it kinda tickled him . Only time I can remember him whipping me was for shooting at his glass pint whiskey bottles he poured moonshine into .

Had a barn in the back , the outhouse backed up to one side of the barn . My great grandmother lived with them and I'd wait in the barn loft for hours waiting on someone to go to the outhouse . You could climb out the back of the loft get on the backroom of the barn and climb on the roof of the barn. Once I'd get to the front by the outhouse I'd jump on the outhouse scaring whoever was in the outhouse with the tin roof on it , sounding like it was falling in . Most times I'd wait for my great grandmother because it would scare her enough to come out screaming. She would usually get even with me because I would forget about what I had done but she didn't. She'd get close to me acting like she was going to give me something and whip out a big hickory whipping me anywhere she could hit me . No one ever said anything to her either, probably knowing I deserved it . Wore stripes across my face or arms didn't matter. Good times but I got most of my menace from my uncle I always tried to say he taught me to do it 😆.
Huntaholic
10 Point

Post by Huntaholic »

snakester50 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:46 pm Like I first mentioned my papaw had a weird sense of humor. He bootleged for a living and down on the hollow below his house most of his customers lived there most black . They had a trail that come up through the grown up field with small patch of woods around it . The trail was worn to the dirt almost like concrete . My uncle and my self would booby trap the trail digging holes covering the hole up so they couldn't see it . Also made trip lines across the trail. Many come up to the house limping but that didn't stop them coming for some whiskey. At times I would climb the big maple tree out front and wait hours for a customer coming to purchase his fix . As soon as they was in range I'd start firing at them with my BB gun . They would start running for the back door not away but to the house beating on the back door. I'd usually quit shooting once they made the door. They would always tell my papaw that " little Stevie's up there in that tree shooting at me with his BB gun " ! Papaw would stick his head out the door and look up at me and tell the customer to be on the run cause I ain't climbing that tree to stop him . Never did whip me think it kinda tickled him . Only time I can remember him whipping me was for shooting at his glass pint whiskey bottles he poured moonshine into .

Had a barn in the back , the outhouse backed up to one side of the barn . My great grandmother lived with them and I'd wait in the barn loft for hours waiting on someone to go to the outhouse . You could climb out the back of the loft get on the backroom of the barn and climb on the roof of the barn. Once I'd get to the front by the outhouse I'd jump on the outhouse scaring whoever was in the outhouse with the tin roof on it , sounding like it was falling in . Most times I'd wait for my great grandmother because it would scare her enough to come out screaming. She would usually get even with me because I would forget about what I had done but she didn't. She'd get close to me acting like she was going to give me something and whip out a big hickory whipping me anywhere she could hit me . No one ever said anything to her either, probably knowing I deserved it . Wore stripes across my face or arms didn't matter. Good times but I got most of my menace from my uncle I always tried to say he taught me to do it 😆.
.rolling. Im thinking your username means youre mean as a snake!
Longrange
6 Point

Post by Longrange »

Riding in a vehicle with no seat belts. A buddy and myself rode in the back of a 76 F150 from Lafayette back to Baxter after a baseball game.
JCodd
10 Point

Post by JCodd »

I spent most of the 90s in the bed of a truck lol. I remember riding to town once in the rain. I huddled up tight to the cab. They pulled over once we got to town to check on me. Told them I was good till you stopped lol.
MUP

Post by MUP »

When it snowed, kids came from all across the mtn to a place near our old house to slide down a hill on a big inner tube, or whatever they could find, some on garbage bags. 😏 Good times.
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Huntaholic wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:51 pm
snakester50 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:46 pm Like I first mentioned my papaw had a weird sense of humor. He bootleged for a living and down on the hollow below his house most of his customers lived there most black . They had a trail that come up through the grown up field with small patch of woods around it . The trail was worn to the dirt almost like concrete . My uncle and my self would booby trap the trail digging holes covering the hole up so they couldn't see it . Also made trip lines across the trail. Many come up to the house limping but that didn't stop them coming for some whiskey. At times I would climb the big maple tree out front and wait hours for a customer coming to purchase his fix . As soon as they was in range I'd start firing at them with my BB gun . They would start running for the back door not away but to the house beating on the back door. I'd usually quit shooting once they made the door. They would always tell my papaw that " little Stevie's up there in that tree shooting at me with his BB gun " ! Papaw would stick his head out the door and look up at me and tell the customer to be on the run cause I ain't climbing that tree to stop him . Never did whip me think it kinda tickled him . Only time I can remember him whipping me was for shooting at his glass pint whiskey bottles he poured moonshine into .

.rolling. Im thinking your username means youre mean as a snake!
Used to be. Mellowed out now . More mischievous than mean but did have mean streaks .lol
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

I remember tube type TVs and radios and then pocket sized transistor radios. They ran on a 9V battery and if you had one with a telescopic antenna, you were walking in high cotton! 45rpm single 'records' with one song on each side. If you had a "Hi Fi" you needed the center adapter for the spindle. 33rpm albums and I still have a bunch from the 80s. Vinyl was the ticket! Speaking of vinyl........ Naugahyde was the fake leather of the day and all the rage for couches and recliners. It didn't breathe and you'd sweat like crazy and stick to it.
MUP

Post by MUP »

We used to joke on how many "nauga's" it took to kill to make that couch! :lol: :lol: :lol:
[Image We score trophies, but every hunt is, to some extent, a way of measuring ourselves.
Wiley
10 Point

Post by Wiley »

^^^^ .rolling.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

.rolling.
snakester50
10 Point

Post by snakester50 »

Me and some of my running buddies used to go over to the Mayfields plant , you know where they made the ice cream, chocklet milk etc . There was a railroad track right behind the plant . I'd be lookout and the others would climb the fence in back check then refrigerated trucks that came back from their routes . They would get whipped creme, ice cream chocklet milk anything that was left . Go down tracks to the trussel get under the bridge and eat that stuff until we was all sick . Once they talked me into going over the fence cause they figured out I always wanted to be lookout and that wasn't fair so I did . Me and another friend went over the fence and we was looking in the trucks , not all had something in them . Rounded a truck seen a worker so we took off trying to get back over that fence . Tore my shirt plumb off me with the top strands which was barbed wire . Those guys did it many times more but that was my last trip. Think they finally got caught though . I wasn't good at that type thing but those I ran with were , I was too scared off getting caught .